Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.


Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > History, Tradition, Heritage
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Tradition, Heritage As related to the subjects of piping, drumming and pipe bands.

Platinum Sponsors
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2018, 02:33 PM   #1
will103
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dumbaron
Posts: 87
Default I.D. on old bagpipe chanter

Hi folks, I have an old bagpipe chanter and I was hoping that you might be able to help me with identifying the maker (or period of manufacturer). There is no maker's stamp. The chanter is in quite bad condition with a split running from the F hole right through to the B. Here are some Dropbox links to images of the chanter. Any help would be great.

Thanks, will

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8a6k80nn2..._1574.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2is446jd67..._1577.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/acjbmqhijh..._1579.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p0gfcm8ja0..._1580.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7u9dg7ocv2..._1582.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s9k9ynbj5u..._1586.JPG?dl=0
will103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 11-24-2018, 04:38 PM   #2
Glenurquhart
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Aix-en-Provence, France
Posts: 2,182
Default Re: ID on old bagpipe chanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by will103 View Post
Hi folks, I have an old bagpipe chanter and I was hoping that you might be able to help me with identifying the maker (or period of manufacturer). There is no maker's stamp. The chanter is in quite bad condition with a split running from the F hole right through to the B. Here are some Dropbox links to images of the chanter. Any help would be great.

Thanks, will

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8a6k80nn2..._1574.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2is446jd67..._1577.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/acjbmqhijh..._1579.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p0gfcm8ja0..._1580.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7u9dg7ocv2..._1582.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s9k9ynbj5u..._1586.JPG?dl=0
This late-19th-century chanter does not look like any of the prominent late-Victorian chanters that I have seen, or owned. It is rather plain by comparison, with a single scribe line to the bulb and none on the underside. The bulb is somewhat reminiscent of Fairgrieve, Edinburgh. But the Fairgrieve chanter in my keeping has a sole made of two separate pieces of ivory, and is of poorer quality.
__________________
Glenurquhart
Glenurquhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 05:01 PM   #3
will103
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dumbaron
Posts: 87
Default Re: ID on old bagpipe chanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenurquhart View Post
This late-19th-century chanter does not look like any of the prominent late-Victorian chanters that I have seen, or owned. It is rather plain by comparison, with a single scribe line to the bulb and none on the underside. The bulb is somewhat reminiscent of Fairgrieve, Edinburgh. But the Fairgrieve chanter in my keeping has a sole made of two separate pieces of ivory, and is of poorer quality.
Aah, yes. I found some information here:

http://www.thebagpipemuseum.com/Fairgrieve.html

Very close match. Thanks for the info. will103

Here is how the chanter sounds:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m01xshq6ti...NOV18.m4a?dl=0

Not bad considering the state of it.
will103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:01 PM   #4
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Estados Unidos
Posts: 6,064
Default Re: ID on old bagpipe chanter

I donít have Dropbox so couldnít open the pix...and see how bad is the split...but if you can bind it..is it playable...to check the pitch?

Btw...I know an excellent chanter repair guy....
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 01:56 AM   #5
will103
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dumbaron
Posts: 87
Default Re: ID on old bagpipe chanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
I donít have Dropbox so couldnít open the pix...and see how bad is the split...but if you can bind it..is it playable...to check the pitch?

Btw...I know an excellent chanter repair guy....
Hi, I have managed to repair the splits and also remove all of the gunk that had accumulated.

Interestingly (and scarily) I played it for all of 5 minutes before I repaired the cracks and wow they opened up wide (lesson learned). The chanter sits at B flat with a modern reed (only tried one mind). Boy the reed seat is big.

Would be good to get the details of the chanter repair guy you know. What would be a better way of posting photos so more could see?

Ta will
will103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 08:47 AM   #6
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Estados Unidos
Posts: 6,064
Default Re: ID on old bagpipe chanter

Sorry..just realized you are located in UK...whereas the repair guy I know is in USA....; you might enquire st the NPC...surely there is a good repair specialist in your realm. ?
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:44 PM   #7
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North America
Posts: 3,186
Default Re: ID on old bagpipe chanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero


I don’t have Dropbox so couldn’t open the pix...and see how bad is the split...but if y


Greetings, el gaitero... and to All,

I don't have DropBox, either... but down at the bottom
there is a little icon .... on which you may "click"... and
the pic's are then available to you... :)

Good Luck with it!!

Regards to All,

Pip01


A Quick Post Script Addendum

I've just tried to replicate my getting into Dropbox and
seeing the icon... to better tell you where it is found...
but since I've already been there... my computer now
just takes me straightway to the pic's.

Apologies for the lack of a proper roadmap to the icon.
(Still beats me how these machines actually work!! :)






__________________
My friends all know,
With what a brave carouse...

Last edited by Pip01; 11-29-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Pip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:00 PM   #8
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Estados Unidos
Posts: 6,064
Default Re: ID on old bagpipe chanter

Thx for that pipi01. It worked. The chanter doesnít look to be quite the shambles I envisioned.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:20 PM   #9
Robin Beck
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kirn, Dunoon
Posts: 3,104
Default Re: ID on old bagpipe chanter

Can you read it up and make music with it?
__________________
www.CowalBagpipes.com
Robin Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:05 AM   #10
will103
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dumbaron
Posts: 87
Default Re: I.D. on old bagpipe chanter

Hi folks, sorry for the late reply - work busy.

I have finished working on the chanter now.

What is hard to see from the photos is a bad series of cracks down from F to B and it looks like it was bent at some time - causing the damage. All fixed now though. Two more cracks opened up while I was working on it.

I have reeded it and it is not bad. I am going to hopefully try it in my pipes over the weekend if I can get the drones to tune to the chanter.

Cheers, will
will103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Silver Sponsor

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:27 PM.