Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Do It Yourself (DIY)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Do It Yourself (DIY) Making and repairing of instruments, accessories, and more.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-16-2019, 04:41 PM   #1
Smjprogrammer
Forum Silver Medal

Default I Hemp With Cobblers Wax

For years I have used cobblers wax. The hard stuff you have to brake in little pieces, and heat up to make it workable. I hate doing that. I have been wondering if using strait Stockholm Tar on the first 12 inches of hemp would be just as useful in keeping the hemp sticking to the tenons and pins. Has anyone ever tried this?
Smjprogrammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-16-2019, 04:55 PM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: I Hemp With Cobblers Wax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smjprogrammer View Post
For years I have used cobblers wax. The hard stuff you have to brake in little pieces, and heat up to make it workable. I hate doing that. I have been wondering if using strait Stockholm Tar on the first 12 inches of hemp would be just as useful in keeping the hemp sticking to the tenons and pins. Has anyone ever tried this?
Yes...only the first 12 -15” ..then real bees wax after ...even on top of waxed yellow hemp.

The black cobblers wax...heat it in the microwave til soft and tacky ..about 45 sec ( yrmv) ) ..then form it into a fat disc and stick it ( literally) between eg a folded over piece of old waist belt leather); ...going forward...quickly draw the waxed or unwaxed yellow hemp thru the black wax...( top leather held down by the thumb) several times to coat the hemp fully and really make it the initial wrap adhere to the wood. Fwiw ..I’ve been using the same lump of black wax for 20+ years.....yeah..yrmv. .

Last edited by el gaitero; 04-16-2019 at 05:04 PM.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:20 PM   #3
Smjprogrammer
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: I Hemp With Cobblers Wax

I use two hemps at once one dry yellow, and one waxed yellow does that make a difference with weather to use bees wax after applying that tar?
Smjprogrammer is offline   Reply With Quote