Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old Yesterday, 11:08 AM   #21
William McKenzie
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: Dojo university?

First off, welcome to Highland piping! Glad to have you.

Second off, there are lots of sound advice so far. Totally agree that there is no substitution for a one on one instructor, and Skype isn't a bad option if that's not possible. Neil Clark is great, I've watched many of his videos and they've helped me. Jori Chisholm would also be a great resource for instruction especially one on one.

As per Dojo University. I have to say that I am STILL learning things from Andrew that I didn't know even after years and years of doing this. There is definitely something to be said about getting the fundamentals and then going back through and picking up even more of what you didn't understand or missed originally. Much like watching GoT or Mad Men or Westworld etc several times through; you pick up so much more understanding and newer levels each time even though the information presented is roughly still the same.

I think what most here are expressing isn't that Dojo U is a poor choice, it's that without knowing "what-is-what" you might take things as concrete from one source when many of us who go through Dojo University (myself included, I really like it) already have a sense for what things are and expectations/experience and can decide for ourselves what is appropriate for your type of playing style and local judging.

Best bet is start Dojo University and go through those methodically. I do recommend them. Find an instructor in the mean time and look up other instructional videos such as Neil Clark. When you have questions come do a search here and/or ask us. Sometimes you'll find hot topics where no one can agree and you'll find your own preference, or other times there is an expectation (answer) we all adhere to.

Hope this helps!