Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-16-2019, 06:09 PM   #1
Terrahawk
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Matched Chanters - Relevant in 2019?

With current manufacturing/production techniques, is getting "matched" chanters as relevant as it was 15 or 20 years ago? Does anyone have feedback on adding band chanters over successive years within the last 3-5 years, of the same brand, with significant differences? Or have the most current production methods decreased the variability significantly enough that the products are similar from one year to the next? We're talking a lower grade band, not FMM or SFU or the like. Any feedback would be appreciated. We're looking at G1 or McCallum band chanters.
Terrahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-16-2019, 06:27 PM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Matched Chanters - Relevant in 2019?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrahawk View Post
With current manufacturing/production techniques, is getting "matched" chanters as relevant as it was 15 or 20 years ago? Does anyone have feedback on adding band chanters over successive years within the last 3-5 years, of the same brand, with significant differences? Or have the most current production methods decreased the variability significantly enough that the products are similar from one year to the next? We're talking a lower grade band, not FMM or SFU or the like. Any feedback would be appreciated. We're looking at G1 or McCallum band chanters.

Whatever your band is playing now...4-6- 9 yrs old ..tell the original maker.you need more of the same.. and hope for the best, they wonít be far away.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:21 PM   #3
DamhCabrachPiping
Forum Regular

Are you talking buying a new set and adding more in later? Or are you talking about adding to the existing...

Because although in theory the chanters should be the same, weíre seeing a rise in pitch which in part is the chanter...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DamhCabrachPiping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:02 PM   #4
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamhCabrachPiping View Post
Are you talking buying a new set and adding more in later? Or are you talking about adding to the existing...

Because although in theory the chanters should be the same, weíre seeing a rise in pitch which in part is the chanter...

...why to tell the maker what year you are wanting to match....and they will.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:04 PM   #5
DamhCabrachPiping
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
...why to tell the maker what year you are wanting to match....and they will.

Thatís true I suppose, havenít ever tried it

DamhCabrachPiping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:06 PM   #6
Terrahawk
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamhCabrachPiping View Post

Because although in theory the chanters should be the same, we’re seeing a rise in pitch which in part is the chanter...

We are going to get new band chanters. We are small. We have a couple players that might be able to play with the band in a year or so. It used to be when I played in a competition band we'd get "matched chanters" from Shepherd or Warnoch, etc, and they'd be reasonably close to each other with same/similar reeds. Just easier to set up and maintain the band sound. Much easier than matching Dunbars to Warnochs to Naills to whatever hodgepodge the players had before joining.

But it seems that 20 years ago there was more of a manual aspect involved in the production, instead of now where much is CNC machined, laser-cut, CAD whatevered. It seems computer-driven or assisted technology may have taken out some of the variability in the manufacturing process that would make it hard to match a chanter from 2 years ago to today, compared to today's methods. I could be totally wrong.

I quit playing for a long while and have just come back and was wondering if we buy XYZ-brand chanters this year and need to get 2 more of the same maker/model next year or the year after, would it be better to get a set of "matched chanters" now and get more than we need, despite the added expense and the unpredictability of needing them next year.
Terrahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:02 PM   #7
William McKenzie
Forum Gold Medal

I would think especially with Polypenco that as you say with CAD it won't matter so much. El G. probably has the right idea in messaging the makers directly and they should be able to tell you if there were any changes and if they can produce another chanter of that model.

One exception to this is I emailed a prominent maker a couple of years ago about reproducing one of their older designs and they said they wouldn't be interested because it was a one-off, and two because it would devalue the newer version which had been out for a few years at that point.
Old Yesterday, 02:09 AM   #8
Steve Law
Forum Regular

My two pennyworth...
For higher grades seeking the absolute best they can get, then matching sets of anything will help to remove variables and at those levels tiny things matter.

Iíd suggest that anyone not up to those standards (by which I mean the average non-competing social band, of which I know a good few in UK) donít need the expense of discarding decent chanters just to get a matched set.... you can get quite close with careful attention to reed settings and tape. The typical variability in blowing technique and several other factors make much more difference to sound quality than can be overcome by matched sets of chanters. Better to focus on the people first then worry about the last word in equipment.

If you canít match to a standard and want to buy a set, then obviously it makes sense to buy all the same, but otherwise I donít think itís worth the expense.

Put it another way, if youíre a genuine music aficionado then itís worth laying out on Bang & Olufsen hi-fi in your listening room, but if you just want the radio for musical wallpaper in a noisy workshop then you are kinda wasting your money on B&O.
Steve Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:06 PM   #9
TwitchyFingers
Holy smoking keyboard!

I know it's extra expense, but I would also consider matching chanter stocks. My old band had matching ABW Sinclairs, which were a dream, but in some members' pipes, they tended to be flat on the top hand. It's possible, though we didn't think to check in pre-internet days, that their chanter stock was narrower which could cause a flattened high hand.