Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Ladies' Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ladies' Room For the Ladies.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-22-2017, 06:54 PM   #11
Rooklidge
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: You play like a girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbusypiping View Post
She played in a competition where a judge actually said she "played like a girl" I guess she wasn't hitting the drum hard enough for his liking??
The judge should be censured by the association for that comment, regardless of intent. There should be no room for that nonsense.

Besides that, I'm not partial to the whacking style that has become so common. Prior to Kevlar heads, finesse produced volume dynamics that are rarely heard by lower grade players anymore. Exaggerated arm movements and consistently loud playing produce a rather boring rattle. If playing like a girl means having some musical taste, discretion, and variation...play on.
Rooklidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-23-2017, 02:29 AM   #12
Song Builder
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

How do you stop an army on horseback charging at you at full pelt? With the Pipes and Drums, of course! I have told youngsters in my care to play with more aggression.
The battle is now o'er but we still want to make the audience jump out of their seats when the drum corps comes on.
Song Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:43 PM   #13
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooklidge View Post
Besides that, I'm not partial to the whacking style that has become so common. Prior to Kevlar heads, finesse produced volume dynamics that are rarely heard by lower grade players anymore. Exaggerated arm movements and consistently loud playing produce a rather boring rattle. If playing like a girl means having some musical taste, discretion, and variation...play on.
I'm with you, Steve. And, as a piper, what gets my attention, are things like smooth roll-offs with dynamics; not the high-sticking whacking.

By the way, I'm curious where this competitor placed, notwithstanding the judge's comment!
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:43 AM   #14
Peter Finlay
Forum Clasp

[Even if there were a stronger correlation, what would it matter as long as the results are what was intended? As long as the music is good, who cares about the movement required to achieve the end?[/QUOTE]

Very well said! The music is what we all strive to produce and when we succeed, the joy is in the music and not whether it was a man or woman who made it!
Old 03-29-2017, 07:40 AM   #15
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

It is unfortunate that the judge's comments can be interpreted in number of ways. While he may (and we cannot be sure) have been well-meaning, his comments could also be taken as a negative, sexist comment.

Maybe it would behoove judges to be cautious in their choice of wording.

Charlie
Old 04-02-2017, 08:58 AM   #16
piper Q
Forum Silver Medal

If only I could play as well as some of the Ladies, I've been witness to performing.

While, I'm adequate on the pipes (An Open Class Piper's assessment, which I'm quite happy with mind you) I still keep practicing and learning although Pub Piping and Funerals are what I do most. As for the Bodhran, I'm fortunate if I can keep a steady beat, I haven't the fluidity of movement in my right arm and wrist that many ladies have. Still to be that 'Chauvanistic' in this day and age to belittle anyone in such a manner is even below my Neanderthalic sensibilities.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:15 PM   #17
David
Holy smoking keyboard!

I learned from a 70 year-old Strathclyde "girl," who often called men "boyos" and women "girlies." Thankfully her goodheartedness and lack of prejudice went unquestioned. She liked men, but just didn't think they made good husbands.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:37 PM   #18
LloydB
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I learned from a 70 year-old Strathclyde "girl," who often called men "boyos" and women "girlies." Thankfully her goodheartedness and lack of prejudice went unquestioned. She liked men, but just didn't think they made good husbands.
The OP's information seems rather 3rd hand --
Did the drummer's competition score (and the
judge's comment) reflect a deficiency in her
technique? If so, yes, the judge could have
chosen a far more productive way to suggest
improvement.

And perhaps the judge did?
Were there additional comments?
We don't know.

Years ago I posted a quite obviously tongue-
in-cheek (and intentionally humorous) 3-page
commentary to an academic bulletin board.

It began "Dear Sirs" and was addressed
to a totally fictitious legal partnership.
The immediate response to this, from a
member of a different department, was
to write across the top: "Note the Sexism!"

Other members of that same department
wrote: "What sexism?" (There was
absolutely nothing else in the posting that
could be remotely interpreted as sexism.)

My only observation is that sometimes the
reaction to a comment, is also not helpful.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:55 AM   #19
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydB View Post

The OP's information seems rather 3rd hand --

...my same thot when this post first appeared....with due respect to the op ,..not enough data to bolster the scenario and or details ( e.g.was it tongue in cheek, friendly banter between two parties already knowing each other, no offense taken by the recipient,..etc etc) to make much ado.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:03 PM   #20
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Real world intrusion: My wife is a professional violinist. If you drop a needle on a random violin recording, she can tell you if it's a man or a woman playing with about 95% accuracy. The times she gets it wrong are almost invariably women who learned to play from strong male relatives.

The fact that men and women are different is a fact, and it manifests itself in all aspects of reality, including music.

If you don't want to play like a girl then learn to play like a man. If you don't want to play like a man then learn to play like a girl. If you want to pretend that there is no difference between men and women then more power to you, but don't expect the realists in the audience to go along with your delusion.