Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Teacher's Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Teacher's Lounge Pedagogy - the art or profession of teaching

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-26-2019, 02:40 PM   #11
PNB
Forum Regular

Default Re: Better teaching methods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D Piper View Post

Sadly, even with the best instruction, it comes down to the student to apply what they have learned. I remind my students: "I will not make you a bagpiper, YOU will make you a bagpiper." My job is to straighten their sails and point their SS Bagpiper boat back in the right direction, not move their fingers for them. If students don't have the motivation to do the work themselves, they will never progress.

-Matthew

Well said!!
Old Today, 08:47 AM   #12
WillyWog
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Re: Better teaching methods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Fogelman View Post
I am a stickler for understanding how to read the music (I am a high school music teacher) and not relying on hearing the tune to be able to play it.

Foot tapping I don’t care as much about but do focus on a it a little to make it easier to start marching.
I disagree... If one knows how a tune plays in his head He can play the tune.. Get anyone to play happy birthday toyou.. On an elastic band.Once you show him/her to stretch the band to the notes, He will do it in no time flat.. Hearing forming it you ones head is the best fastest way to learn a song. And I am saying this from experience. Lots of it.

Secondly.. Foot tapping is also considered to be one of the most important things to learn.. Its all about timing and rythm etc etc.. Meter comes from those who tap..

And yes about having the student have his OWN instrument. There is nothing more important for incentive to have a shiny instrument sitting in front of one self yellin at you .. ""Play Me" Plz 'Play Me' ;-) ;-)

Willy

Last edited by WillyWog; Today at 08:51 AM.
WillyWog is offline   Reply With Quote