Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
piper_hm
Forum Clasp

Default Drone Dry?

Is anyone aware of what the Drone Dry system is all about?
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #2
flares2
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: Drone Dry?

Well their website is under construction and the facebook page doesn't discuss the product at all. Makes me think it's a product not to be available to the public yet or it is brand new and is not being marketed yet.

Honestly, prior to your post, I'd never heard of the product.
flares2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:19 AM   #3
Armorican
Forum Silver Medal

From the facebook page

Quote:
Description
Drone Dry PATENT PENDING is a ground breaking new bagpipe moisture control system. It incorporates a specially engineered set of stocks that absorb moisture and restrict excess moisture from gaining access to the bagpipe reeds. Designed especially for hide bags, but also compatible with synthetic.

Currently being tested by a Top 6 grade one band and one of the top Soloists in the world, before becoming available in 2014.
Armorican is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:08 AM   #4
Churchill
Forum Regular

Just a wee bump on this one. Saw on another forum this morning that Inverary may be the band it mentions, so could we assume Liddell is the solo piper?
Churchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:37 AM   #5
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

I gather a few Inverary folk are playing with them in, whatever they are. If I read correctly they are a replacement for your stocks, presumably with gubbins inside.

If Inverary can really play with half in and half out you have to wonder what they actually do...
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #6
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flares2 View Post
Well their website is under construction and the facebook page doesn't discuss the product at all. Makes me think it's a product not to be available to the public yet or it is brand new and is not being marketed yet.

Honestly, prior to your post, I'd never heard of the product.
IMHO..the name says it all;.... and which sounds like another 'you-can't-live-without' (read: costly) gadget to help hoard moisture inside your bag and possibly dampen your tone ....vs. a simple pour off tube connected to the base of the blowstick stock.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #7
Churchill
Forum Regular

Interesting post Callum. Fair point indeed, results aren't really different to last year after all.

My knowledge of pipes is limited but don't drones need a bit of moisture?
Churchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #8
Kriktsemaj
Forum Member

There's now a video up now on their facebook page that explains how the system works:

https://www.facebook.com/DroneDry

In short, it's a set of replacement drone stocks with drying crystals integrated into the walls of removable tube-shaped inserts. The inserts are removable from the outside of the bag for drying, so it can be used in zipperless bags.
Kriktsemaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #9
Bluescottygirl
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriktsemaj View Post

In short, it's a set of replacement drone stocks with drying crystals integrated into the walls of removable tube-shaped inserts. The inserts are removable from the outside of the bag for drying, so it can be used in zipperless bags.
Does that mean that the stock you currently have becomes redundant as you need to use three parts provided as they are all part of the system?
Bluescottygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #10
MacTallanambeann
Forum Silver Medal

Can drying crystals work that fast? Surely in this design most of the moist air heading for the reed won't even come into contact with the cartridge?

Can't say I'm convinced, I would think that a piece of fine stainless steel mesh in a tube down the inside of the stock to act as a condenser would be just as effective as this kit to draw moisture away from the reeds only difference being that it would drip back down into the bag
MacTallanambeann is offline   Reply With Quote