Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-01-2019, 09:12 AM   #31
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Balancing chanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyWog View Post
Anyone on here recommend what make of Chanter reed to use in a McCallum Mrk2 chanter.. I been using Elliott molded reeds.. Not sure if that be the best or not..

Anyone??

Willy
Shepherd molded reed, Chesney are also quite good. If Chesney let your supplier know itís for the McCallum chanter..there are copper and brass stapled models...the brass staple is for Chesney chanters Iím told.
The Elliot you have is another great reed, Husk,Gilmour,G1.... youíd need to try them all to decide your druther...or just one and stick with it if you like it.

I havenít gone wrong with the Shepherd in two bands I coach currently using about 30 McCallum chanters...mostly mk2.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 11-03-2019, 09:00 AM   #32
WillyWog
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Hi guys/girls thanks for the help

Ok. Since my last post I been working on tuning my chanter.. The McCallum.. The original MacLeod AB chanter will be next and probably a real chore..

Anyway.. Chanter is all in tune. Tuned the high A a bit sharp to get my F in tune then Fine tuned the holes to bring other note inline.. Seems to work ok. All notes are sitting on green or 0... I am using Accord Premium paid for bagpipe tuner on my pc with an good mic plugged in.. also have a Korg chromatic guitar tune works good. Chanter falls in at 474..

Only thing I was not sure of was if there was a specific direction to tune the other notes with tape. Start at High A the work down the chanter to Low G or visee versee!!! .. I went from Low G up to high A after I had the A's done.

Seemed to work. Sure sound great in my pipe with the drones blowin away..

Tnx all
Willy
WillyWog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:46 PM   #33
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

The only holes that noticeably change the pitch of other notes is the two tone holes that allow you to flatten low G. By taping them low A will go sharper, B not as much, and then it tapers off by the time you hit C#.

All other notes Iíve treated as behaving independent of tape on nearby holes.

My Colin Kyo chanters usually have in tune low G so I havenít had to decide whether to push the reed in to bring high A up to the sharpened low A or just tape low A to offset the tape on the tone holes.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:35 PM   #34
Andrew Lenz

Some of this may be helpful too:

Bagpipe Chanter Reed Basics
https://www.bagpipejourney.com/artic...nterreed.shtml

Carving Bagpipe Chanters
https://www.bagpipejourney.com/artic..._carving.shtml

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:26 PM   #35
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

We're using G1 Platinums, which pitch well, have good volume and tone, and last a long time.
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote