Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-07-2018, 10:30 AM   #1
dtstewart
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Problem with Maclellan (mouth blown) Studio (smallpipes)

Hi
While I'm not using the big pipes I thought maybe somebody here could help me out. I'm using the Maclellan mouth blown "Studio Pipes" (smallpipes). I'm finding that as I'm blowing there is a continual and very annoying sort of pop in the bag ... not sure if I need to fill this kind of bag completely, need to apply more arm pressure, or what. I had found but thought I'd fixed a sort stuck then pop mouth piece valve, but the problem is still there. Any ideas? Beginning piper here (on practice chanter quite a while and have bellow blown smallpipes where this problem doesn't occur and I can maintain a nice even pitch). The pitch btw also gives a sudden surge with these Maclellan pipes.
dtstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-08-2018, 09:09 AM   #2
Jay Close
Forum Clasp

Default Re: problem with Maclellan (mouth blown) Studio (smallpipes)

The only thing I can think of that might "pop" is the one way valve on the blow stick. Sometimes with a GHB the sound of the valve closing can be annoying to the player but it may not be noticeable to an audience. But that "popping" is intermittent, with the breath, not continual as you suggest. Make sure the hinge on the valve is upper most so the flapper wants to hang in the closed position.

A surge in pitch also suggests a blowpipe issue as the only thing I can think of that would cause a surge in pitch is a surge in air pressure. That is either unsteady blowing/squeezing or something mechanical with the blowpipe and valve.

Perhaps a video would help diagnose the issue? But a quick call to Roddy may be the best idea. I've played his "studio pipes" and know a number of pipers who own sets, your problem is a new one on me. Good luck!
Jay Close is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:02 AM   #3
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Problem with Maclellan (mouth blown) Studio (smallpipes)

I would try this test.

Hold the bag gently in your hands instead of under your arm. Now blow up the bag, take a deep breath and blow continuously though the bag to play the reeds for as long as you can blow.

If you don't hear the pop while you're blowing continuously, that will eliminate a lot of factors.

Now do the same thing, but use multiple breaths. If you hear the pop, you'll probably be able to localize the sound, since the bag is out in front of your body.

You can also reverse the test and blow up the bag and then play a sustained note with arm pressure only. This will show you if the sound is related to the valve.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:57 AM   #4
Jay Close
Forum Clasp

So, "dtstewart", did you ever get your problem sorted out? Bob and I offered some advise and comment and I know the suspense is killing me. I'd love to know what the outcome was........or are you still struggling?

Cheers!
Old 05-18-2018, 01:22 PM   #5
dtstewart
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

[QUOTE=Jay Close;1327200]So, "dtstewart", did you ever get your problem sorted out? Bob and I offered some advise and comment and I know the suspense is killing me. I'd love to know what the outcome was........or are you still struggling?

Cheers!
Yes, I did - thanks to all who offered ideas. Roddy MacLellan fixed the problem by changing the valve to a Little Mac Valve. It seems I'm a wet blower and for some reason the first valve was sticking then suddenly releasing. It immediately solved the problem and they are a delight to play.
dtstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:25 AM   #6
Jay Close
Forum Clasp

Good news! Thanks for the update. Cheers!