Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Pipe Bands
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pipe Bands For everything or anything related to Pipe Bands..

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-08-2017, 11:10 AM   #11
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Rebuilding A Band

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zummerhaus View Post
Thanks guys for the suggestions so far.

I'm trying to stay positive, although the suggestions I'm making keep getting shot down or that old chestnut "we've tried that before".

It's really incredible - I'm not long in the door, and know it'd be a lot of work, but they seem content with what they're doing, or happy to moan. I'm tempted to take on the PM role but I've other things in my life and would need help and support from these guys, but they don't seem to want to change things.
There are many great suggestions, above. In response, you've touched on a key issue having to do with leadership and support. Many of us have known P/Ms of various styles. Some dictators; some so-called beneficent ones; some collaborative; and some passive and ineffective. I believe that an effective P/M needs the support of the band, notwithstanding also needing to be a leader. I've witnessed too many bands with factions...some the grumbling "old timers"; and some who want to progress. If both don't buy in to some direction, it's a rudderless ship.

Even with support, I believe that a band needs focus. Not only does it need to know what it is and at what level it wishes to strive and play; it serves to keep a fairly narrow focus as it grows...not trying to be all things to all ends and people. That applies, also, to tune selection, number of tunes, and maintenance of an achievable (and, we hope, decent) level of play. The band doesn't have to, nor should, be something it's not (e.g., higher grade competition band when it's just starting out); but bands that play well (and looking good doesn't hurt) tend to attract a level of player that will enhance that level.
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-14-2017, 08:34 AM   #12
Goat Skin
Forum Gold Medal

Don't ignore the back end. If possible, find a drumming instructor who can not only teach basic rudiments, but can write simple scores as well. If they can't produce a basic corps in two or three months and you never see drummers playing on drums, find someone else.

I helped a band once who had a person teaching their drum corps by singing the settings. I sent that person packing and had them on drums in a month. Basic settings, but they were started.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:02 AM   #13
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Skin View Post
Don't ignore the back end. If possible, find a drumming instructor who can not only teach basic rudiments, but can write simple scores as well.
I so agree. And P/Ms should not ignore, as you say, "the back end." It's interesting how working with drummers is out of the comfort zone of so many P/Ms. Consequently, many don't to chanters and pads practice as much as what benefits bands. I also believe very much in good drum scores for each tune. Much more helpful for the pipes and ensemble than so-called massed bands scores.
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote