Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-20-2017, 12:44 PM   #21
Doug Walton
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: The Lawrie That Time Forgot

I performed an experiment, and to my surprise, I can clearly hear every well-tuned chanter note against my Kron drones.
Doug Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-20-2017, 02:06 PM   #22
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Is the effect of chanter note and drone harmonics when it sounds like the drones change pitch slightly with different chanter notes?

It'd be interesting to get some spectrum images to see how the drone and chanter waveforms are interacting.

Charlie
Old 02-12-2018, 04:54 PM   #23
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Sorry but due to me closing my Photobucket account all my old photos are dead links!

So here is the Lawrie set referenced in the OP, owned by Keith McNeil.

I purchased them from the McNeil family after Keith passed. His wishes were that all his instruments get played- and they are sure getting played!

The set was missing stocks, chanter, and bass bottom section.

Here's the pipes as I'm playing them. Dunbar made a new bottom with salvaged mounts. The stocks are random old ABW and nickel (not Lawrie).

With EzeeDrones the tenors play great at 466. With Kinnairds they play great at 483, a nice big vintage Lawrie tone good for pipe band use.

Just the original parts, the condition is amazing for a 50 year old set.

Now if any of you have some of these laying about taking up precious room, I would love to take the burden of owning them upon myself

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 02-12-2018 at 05:11 PM.
pancelticpiper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:02 AM   #24
Chris C.
Forum Silver Medal

I'm taking it that I'm seeing a Lawrie chanter in those pics (not another brand?).
Chris C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:55 AM   #25
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

The set came to me without a chanter.

The original chanter would have looked like the chanter in the photo below, currently on Ebay, ABW with the huge catalin sole, and decal.

Chanters of that vintage come up on Ebay all the time, but I don't have much reason for buying one. (It wouldn't complete the set, because the set is also missing the stocks and bass bottom section.)

The chanter in my pipes as seen in the post above is a McCallum with the big oval holes that plays at modern band pitch.

I also have a 466/Concert B Flat McCallum that I use for pipe organ/orchestra/brass ensemble gigs. (I special ordered it with the big old-school style sole.)

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 02-14-2018 at 05:11 AM.
pancelticpiper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:27 AM   #26
Chris C.
Forum Silver Medal

Thanks for the info, Pancelticpiper, I wasn't sure if that was a Lawrie chanter or not... didn't look like one, at least 80's era ones (like my own), or like the part of the one pictured in your last post. It didn't look like mine, anyway. The rest of the set resembles mine (minus the metal -- mine has catalin), but then I really can't tell different brands of pipes apart that well.

Late period Lawrie chanters apparently got a bad rap -- at least from what I recall reading here on the Dunsire forums -- but Evan MacRae (sp? -- apparently a fairly well known piper from the 60's) who was at a piping college I went to in the 80's said he liked mine (when reeding it for a competition I was to play in -- it was apparently standard piping college practice at the time), and he thought Lawrie were starting to produce good chanters... For whatever that's worth.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:40 PM   #27
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Here's Lt Col John Ewing (playing my WWI Hendersons) and Pipe Major Evan MacRae (playing new Hardies) at Coeur d'Alene in the early 1980s.

I took this photo BTW.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:42 AM   #28
Chris C.
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
Here's Lt Col John Ewing (playing my WWI Hendersons) and Pipe Major Evan MacRae (playing new Hardies) at Coeur d'Alene in the early 1980s.

I took this photo BTW.
You were at Coeur D' Alene? That's where I was.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:41 PM   #29
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris C. View Post
You were at Coeur D' Alene? That's where I was.
Yes, when Evan MacRae was the head instructor.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:55 AM   #30
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Good to put a face to the names. Id been told these chaps were button sales reps.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote