Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.


Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-23-2020, 06:53 PM   #1
Pictish Boar
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Grand Junction, Colorado USA
Posts: 69
Default Blowstock lining (Delrin)

Does anyone know someone that does blowstock lining in delrin? I used to have Cushing do it and he did a great job but cant get a hold of him anymore. Ive had one lined by House of Bagpipes in Cali great job also but its brass lined and I don't care for it as much I use a moose valve and it tarnishes easy.
If you have any resources let me know please.
Pictish Boar is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-23-2020, 07:34 PM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Estados Unidos
Posts: 6,836
Default Re: Blowstock lining (Delrin)

Ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictish Boar View Post
Does anyone know someone that does blowstock lining in delrin? I used to have Cushing do it and he did a great job but cant get a hold of him anymore. Ive had one lined by House of Bagpipes in Cali great job also but its brass lined and I don't care for it as much I use a moose valve and it tarnishes easy.
If you have any resources let me know please.
Wondering,..... what has the moose valve to do with the brass tarnishing?
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:59 PM   #3
Pictish Boar
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Grand Junction, Colorado USA
Posts: 69
Default Re: Blowstock lining (Delrin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Ft

Wondering,..... what has the moose valve to do with the brass tarnishing?
It holds the moisture (Spit/saliva) against it the whole time I play
Pictish Boar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:12 PM   #4
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North America
Posts: 3,593
Default Re: Blowstock lining (Delrin)





I'd give Rick... at Dunbar Ltd. ... a shout. :)





__________________
My friends all know,
With what a brave carouse...
Pip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 05:05 AM   #5
DNorwood
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Mint Hill, NC
Posts: 160
Default Re: Blowstock lining (Delrin)

Roddy MacLellan (MacLellan Bagpipes in Monroe, NC) will do it too.
DNorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:40 AM   #6
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Estados Unidos
Posts: 6,836
Default Re: Blowstock lining (Delrin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictish Boar View Post
It holds the moisture (Spit/saliva) against it the whole time I play
...just set the Moose valve deeper into the blowstick stock...1/2” or more gap from the end of the blowstick tenon.
Blown in air pressure will keep the condensate residue moving.
You might spritz the tube inside with dry ptf spray ( Home Depot) ..but really shouldn’t be necessary.
Ensure the end of the tube isn’t ‘lipped’ from the tubing cutter....causing a bit of condensate dam...tho quite immaterial under blowing pressure.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:19 AM   #7
Pictish Boar
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Grand Junction, Colorado USA
Posts: 69
Default Re: Blowstock lining (Delrin)

maybe expanding on the question would be a good thing?

Has anyone, using a moose valve or otherwise, ever experienced a crack in their blowpipe stock?

I have two very good sets of pipes now that I do not want to "ruin," and many years ago I had an old set of Hardies that the blowpipe stock cracked on.
Pictish Boar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 01:36 PM   #8
DNorwood
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Mint Hill, NC
Posts: 160
Default Re: Blowstock lining (Delrin)

Actually, moving it deeper is the method recommended when trying to use the Moose Valve as a water trap. The "non-water-trap" method is to insert the moose valve just enough so that when the blowpipe is inserted, the two will be touching.

5:24 into this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcvVCJIoh48

And Yes, using the Moose Valve as a water trap, and not removing the condensation each time can result in a cracked blowpipe stock.





Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
...just set the Moose valve deeper into the blowstick stock....
DNorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 02:03 PM   #9
Pictish Boar
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Grand Junction, Colorado USA
Posts: 69
Default Re: Blowstock lining (Delrin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNorwood View Post

And Yes, using the Moose Valve as a water trap, and not removing the condensation each time can result in a cracked blowpipe stock.
Yes, Exactly my concern... I do remove every time but with the valve in you cant swab it. and so it stays a bit drenched still. It works great as a pre-trap for moisture but I don't want a crack and would like to use the ABW with the nice etched silver furrel. The brass lined one does the job well I just preferred the Delrin lined one as you could hardly tell it was done.
Pictish Boar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:30 PM   #10
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Estados Unidos
Posts: 6,836
Default Re: Blowstock lining (Delrin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNorwood View Post
Actually, moving it deeper is the method recommended when trying to use the Moose Valve as a water trap. The "non-water-trap" method is to insert the moose valve just enough so that when the blowpipe is inserted, the two will be touching.

5:24 into this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcvVCJIoh48

And Yes, using the Moose Valve as a water trap, and not removing the condensation each time can result in a cracked blowpipe stock.
The moose valve is not intended as a water trap...and cannot effectively act like one. It’s height alone is insufficient to ‘trap’ any meaningful amount of condensate;...leaving the screw-in collar on...same result...the space around the collar and stock wall is very minimal. But worst case, without the collar
,is any slight jostling ( as in marching) will slop accumulated moisture over the valve top and be blown down into the bag.
The Moose is an excellent 110% effective valve..it barley needs to be tightened in place...and unlike hemp,..the expanded silicon collar has no possibility to expand further leading to a cracked stock. Whatever accumulated moisture might..but not the valve.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Silver Sponsor

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:13 PM.