Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-29-2020, 05:41 PM   #1
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Kilgour Edinburgh pipes

One doesn't often see these

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-BAG...IAAOSwCgRe-RMp

From what I gleaned online- it would be great if anyone had more details and corrections- the brothers Robert and George Kilgour both served in the Scots Guards, then after leaving the army established a pipemaking firm around 1974 in Edinburgh.

Robert immigrated to Denmark in 1979, then in 1988 George moved to New York and set up shop with Charlie Kron.

In 1995 George returned to Edinburgh and continued pipemaking but on a smaller scale.

If these dates are more or less correct, these Ebay pipes would have been made in that 1974-1988 period.

It's interesting that the mounts appear to be Casein, which as we know was a favourite material of Roberston, with whom George Kilgour had done an apprenticeship.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:45 PM   #2
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Kilgour Edinburgh pipes

My pipes were made by George Kilgour in 1984 (Silver and Ivory). They are stamped on the drones "G.P. Kilgour Strathspey". So the dates mentioned would not match his, given the label sited. When he returned to Scotland after his somewhat unfortunate time with Kron, I don't know how many pipes he made, nor what the label would have indicated.

Ringo has quite a bit of information on Kilgour on his site. On a related tale, I was giving a presentation in an old restaurant/pub in New Jersey; and, afterward, getting a pint in the pub, ended up sitting next to a pleasant old gentleman. It turned out (one of those 'small world' times) that he had belonged to the Scots Guards and knew George. He said his nickname was "Jeeps". Fun; and I was sorry that I never met George, for I love my pipes; and he sounded like quite the character and gentleman.
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:59 AM   #3
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

That's right, I've read that the firm set up by the Kilgour brothers was called "Kilgour of Strathspey" though I believe they were in Edinburgh.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:16 PM   #4
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Now you have me really curious, pancelticpiper! It would seem to be a good deal (not that I'm in the market) if they're in good shape. But your information on Robert and George is interesting. And I would like to know what George made after he returned to Edinburgh; how many pipes he made; whether or not he changed his style; etc.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:53 PM   #5
magsevenband
Forum Clasp

Fond memories of popping into Charley Kron's shop in Dobbs Ferry, NY and upon entering George would most times take a wee break and put the tea kettle on the boil..you could ask him about almost anything and I would particularly enjoy hearing about his days in the Scots Guards when they spent more time piping than soldiering..old school indeed and a delightful man.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:58 PM   #6
Rooklidge
Holy smoking keyboard!

I recently purchased the set the St James family offered and it is virtually unplayed, and family lore claims it to be the last set he made. Chanter stamped G. Kilgour Strathspey. Tied to an L&M bag from 1996.
Rooklidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:44 PM   #7
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooklidge View Post
I recently purchased the set the St James family offered and it is virtually unplayed, and family lore claims it to be the last set he made. Chanter stamped G. Kilgour Strathspey. Tied to an L&M bag from 1996.
How cool, Steve! If they're like my set, you'll love them. Very Robertson in bold, yet not harsh, sound. I bought mine, too, through St. James. I miss him! (Although he sure kept me on the phone many a time!). He showed up at the Portland Games, one year, surprising me. Great guy!
Old 06-30-2020, 08:46 PM   #8
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magsevenband View Post
Fond memories of popping into Charley Kron's shop in Dobbs Ferry, NY and upon entering George would most times take a wee break and put the tea kettle on the boil..you could ask him about almost anything and I would particularly enjoy hearing about his days in the Scots Guards when they spent more time piping than soldiering..old school indeed and a delightful man.
I envy that you met George. And from what I heard, your description is accurate. I was sad to hear that his experience over here was less than favorable. I'm sure he regretted it, and was glad to get back to Scotland.
Old 07-01-2020, 03:43 AM   #9
colinmaclellan
Forum Gold Medal

I'm not entirely sure, but as I recollect the name "Kilgour of Strathspey" was adopted after George came back from New York, and set up in Montrose Terrace in Edinburgh. Before going to the US he had a very small place in Grove street, only a couple of doors away from the original Robertson's shop.

George's brother Pipe Major Robert Liddell Kilgour was an enormous influence on me growing up in Edinburgh, we were fast friends despite the considerable age gap. George too - and later on when I was Pipe Major of the Lothian and Borders Police it was a great pleasure to afford hospitality to both brothers on the way to championships on the band bus - a privelidge available only to an extremely select few.

I hope no one gets the impression that George's relationship with Charley was the problem when he was in Dobbs Ferry - rather I understand that George had sort of saddled himself with a pretty well unsellable large house and he found it impossible to return to Scotland for a few years because of that, and this made him most unhappy. The brothers Kilgour were great men and much missed here in Edinburgh.
Old 07-01-2020, 04:44 AM   #10
K Sanger
Forum Silver Medal

Oddly Jeannie Campbell's books on bagpipe makers has little to say on the Kilgour simply including them as a sort of add on to Robertson.

I am not sure if it is of any help but shortly after the business opened up in Montrose Terrace I took my circa 1930's Lawrie's there to have them refurbished. At that time I stayed in Abbeyhill so it was almost round the corner.

As the original chanter was louder than more modern instruments and I was having difficulty sourcing suitable reeds I had a new chanter added. It is just stamped 'Kilgour Edinburgh'.

Keith
K Sanger is offline   Reply With Quote