Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Drumming > Bass Sections
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bass Sections Bass & Tenor drumming, and the new home of tenordrummer.com discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-13-2019, 07:11 AM   #1
Irish_Madigan
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Bass MSR solo ideas

Hey all,
Looks like a ghost town in here, lol...
Anyway, just curious as to what some of you all are playing for solos in the Amatuer bass arena.

Thanks,
Tommy
www.clanlindsaypipeband.org
Irish_Madigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 12-13-2019, 11:03 AM   #2
Pete Walen
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Bass MSR solo ideas

Good question! Alas, there are a LOT of "it depends" answers.

Drummers playing in a lower grade band (which to me is Grade 3 and under) have a hard time with solo tunes as they advance in grade/rank - no matter the instrument. Tunes that are "great solo tunes" for drummers are often beyond the reach of the pipers in the band, unless there is a piping instructor playing with you who has a pretty wide range of tunes under their fingers.

If the band is already playing an MSR, unless you have people playing other tunes, or who have played other tunes for solos, you likely are most safe playing the band MSR.

I am presuming you are competing in EUSPBA, yes? Do they require a snare drummer accompanist for bass solos as well as the piper? If so, the band MSR might be your only bet.

I could rattle off tunes I've played, and won with, but if the pipers you have can't play them, they aren't much help.

It might be easier to ask, "What tunes do/does the piper you are considering asking to play for your solo contests know really well?"

Pete
Good Drumming: Pure Magic
Pete Walen is offline   Reply With Quote