Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-01-2020, 11:44 AM   #1
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Piping and COVID

I doubt there are, or will be, any credible studies on this; but here's the question:

Do you believe that piping (consistently, I might add) makes us less susceptible to respiratory illnesses, and more specifically to coronavirus, such as Covid-19?

I may well be engaging in magical thinking, but I've always felt (feelings don't constitute data, of course) that we pipers had healthier respiratory systems, whether that be lungs, diaphragm, or other. So I leap to wondering whether or not our piping makes us more resistant to the effects of afflictions, such as Covid-19...or perhaps ameliorate the symptoms should be contract it. Thoughts?

As an extension, we could suggest getting on pipes more (which we should do, anyway), taking up piping again (for those who've stopped) and/or taking it up as a 'protective instrument'.
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-01-2020, 12:56 PM   #2
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Piping and Covid

One should distinguish between fitness and health. Certainly piping can only make you fitter; whether that means much in terms of health, well, maybe. I'm not sure what effect it can have against epidemiology, though!
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 05:36 PM   #3
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Piping and Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
One should distinguish between fitness and health. Certainly piping can only make you fitter; whether that means much in terms of health, well, maybe. I'm not sure what effect it can have against epidemiology, though!
I agree that there are many other factors; and distinguishing the two is appropriate. I'm not denying or minimizing epidemiology, for this isn't addressing contracting something. Rather, I'm addressing whether or not the activity in question (piping) can at least ameliorate symptoms should one contract Covid or other.

That said, I do have to laugh about being around so many pipers--mostly in years past--who were heavy smokers (and drinkers). I also was humored by the athletes (e.g., when we played for runners in 10Ks, etc.) who wanted to try blowing the pipes (especially those who felt they were super fit), and were deflated when they couldn't get a bleedin' sound out of them. As you said, 'fitness and health'...as well as the difference in what kind of fitness.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:35 PM   #4
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Piping and COVID

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquusRacer

I doubt there are, or will be, any credible studies on this; but here's the question:

Do you believe that piping (consistently, I might add) makes us less susceptible to respiratory illnesses, and more specifically to coronavirus,

such as Covid-19?

Greetings, EquusRacer, and to All,

The short answer is... No!... No!!... No!!! ... It does not!!!

It is a virus... in a capsid... and is no more effected by
piping... than playing the tuba... or eating strawberries!!

Stay safe? ... Stay home!!

Failing that?!... masks...gloves... eye shields... and bring
and use... copious amounts of hand sanitizer... and alcohol
wipes... and wipe down your car door handles... outside
and inside... steering wheel... and radio... etc... etc... etc...

It is a virus!!... and you... and we... must be as relentless
in our vigilance... as it has proved... in its adaptability...

Darwin... is still at work... and Dante'... is still digging...

Wishing for All... Patience... Vigilance... and Good Health!! :)

Pip01

Last edited by Pip01; 08-01-2020 at 06:37 PM.
Pip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:23 PM   #5
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip01 View Post
Greetings, EquusRacer, and to All,

The short answer is... No!... No!!... No!!! ... It does not!!!

It is a virus... in a capsid... and is no more effected by
piping... than playing the tuba... or eating strawberries!!

Stay safe? ... Stay home!!

Failing that?!... masks...gloves... eye shields... and bring
and use... copious amounts of hand sanitizer... and alcohol
wipes... and wipe down your car door handles... outside
and inside... steering wheel... and radio... etc... etc... etc...

It is a virus!!... and you... and we... must be as relentless
in our vigilance... as it has proved... in its adaptability...

Darwin... is still at work... and Dante'... is still digging...

Wishing for All... Patience... Vigilance... and Good Health!!

Pip01

Thank you, Pip01. To be clear, I agree entirely with all the precautions and staying safe; and I am, in NO way, suggesting that pipers can let down their guard. Do not do that! (As you suggest). This was just an academic question of whether or not pipers feel that our 'exercise' is beneficial. Allow me to put it that way, rather than to suggest some sense of immunity. Yes, let's all be diligent and protect ourselves. I'm sorry if a scientific/academic question suggested otherwise.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:24 PM   #6
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I think what the OP is suggesting is that given the extra work placed on the pulmonary system through piping, that pipers may be less susceptible to side effects of Coronavirus.

This seems logical, but I havenít seen any data. Of course, it could be that piping may also cause long term irritation to the lungs that could be exacerbated by Coronavirus. Afterall, the pressures required for piping are not natural.

So, I am not willing to assume that I am less susceptible to Coronavirusís symptoms because I play bagpipes.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:02 AM   #7
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Piper View Post
I think what the OP is suggesting is that given the extra work placed on the pulmonary system through piping, that pipers may be less susceptible to side effects of Coronavirus.

This seems logical, but I havenít seen any data. Of course, it could be that piping may also cause long term irritation to the lungs that could be exacerbated by Coronavirus. Afterall, the pressures required for piping are not natural.

So, I am not willing to assume that I am less susceptible to Coronavirusís symptoms because I play bagpipes.
Correct; thank you! And an interesting thought regarding 'long term irritation'. In any event, as as I stated, I'm in no way suggesting we do not take all the precautions possible. But let's keep piping! Hey! If it has no pulmonary benefit of the nature I questioned, it at least improves the performance of our instruments and our execution (well, depending upon the nature of our playing and practices, of course, given that some simply practice poor playing over and over! But that's another topic!).
Old 08-02-2020, 09:01 AM   #8
piper Q
Forum Gold Medal

My prior medical certifications are all expired. That said I have a solid practice in Medical Quackery, which qualifies me to only provide bad advice in fringe science and medical claims.

Now with the Government approved but not mandated warning out of the way let us commence in the aspects of Health and Piping.

General overall fitness may also help in maintaining a functional immune system, most studies seem to lean in that direction. However individual responses to any viral attack becomes one where the body either recognizes the attack early, or it doesn't until the attack is well developed. How your body responds will very often depend on the types of previous viral exposures and responses.

From readings as a Layman, I can only say the human response is all over the spectrum. From it was just a little nagging nothing, to get the shovel detail out Morte, we're planting another one.

Piping as an expression of music, is a physical exercise the involves lung capacity. Along with intercostal muscles, diaphragm, and upper body strength. Can that form of exercise aid in physical conditioning? Yes it can aid in conditioning. Can Piping aid in immune responses? Possibly but again not likely, as Piping may attribute to better overall physical conditioning which is separate from how the body responds to a viral agent.

The best example I can provide generally involves individuals from 18 to 25 years of age. The core demographic of young adults entering Military Service. For decades many young people entering basic military training are considered to be in good to optimal health and at the completion of basic or initial training in optimal physical conditioning. However the bulk of those individuals are also affected with the common Rhino Virus, aka Common Cold. Generally less than 1% may need medical treatment, as most will continue training regardless of disease progression and recover without problems. However for the 1% some may progress to medical intervention for Pneumonia.

Now COVID-19 is different in that it also attacks the linings of the lungs and the critical aspects of the Aevioli the small sacs where Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide are exchanged in the respiration process. When the Lungs become scarred you've essentially become a COPD patient. COPD=Chronic Obstructive Pulmanery Disease. COPD is a condition where air exchange is reduced. The patients with extreme cases are the ones on ventilators. Its during post ventilator recovery that Physical and Occupational Therapy is required to help the body overcome the loss of lung capacity.

Again, how anyone's body deals with the COVID-19 Virus will depend upon how the individual immune response develops. Generally good Fitness and Conditioning can aid in staging a sound biological response, but it is not indicative of how your body may respond.

Piping and Exercise won't hurt you and in the long run may aid you.

That is the soundest advice you'll recieve from this self acknowledged Charlatan, Mountebank, and Quacksalver.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:38 PM   #9
Rooklidge
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquusRacer View Post

Do you believe that piping (consistently, I might add) makes us less susceptible to respiratory illnesses, and more specifically to coronavirus, such as Covid-19?
I don't know how much piping now will save me from all the effects of drumming, drinking, and whoring in the 1980s , Mike.
Rooklidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 04:59 PM   #10
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooklidge View Post
I don't know how much piping now will save me from all the effects of drumming, drinking, and whoring in the 1980s , Mike.
By switching to piping, My Friend, you have now been redeemed!!