Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other Topics > Forum Related
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Related Related to Forum software; questions, suggestions, ideas ...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-23-2015, 09:36 AM   #1
Matt Weasner
Forum Clasp

Default PM notifications via email

Just out of curiosity; I had a recent PM conversation with someone regarding a TP item. He sent me several PMs, but I was never notified via email which struck me as odd.

I just confirmed that my email address is current on the forum, and sent myself a test PM. The test PM *did* generate an email notification.

Nothing in my junk/spam folders. Any thoughts as to why I didn't get notified on the other PMs?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 10-23-2015, 10:21 AM   #2
Andrew Lenz

Default Re: PM notifications via email

Are you using Gmail for your email?

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:44 AM   #3
Matt Weasner
Forum Clasp

Yes I am. Issue with Gmail?

thanks!

Matt
Old 10-23-2015, 11:21 AM   #4
Andrew Lenz

Mike Greene moved BDF to a new server recently and since the server isn't "established" Gmail considers it a high spam risk.

I've been having similar problems of not getting report posts from the forums that I moderate. I've been having to manually check the (top secret) Reported Posts forum to see if any have come through.

It was super bad at first, but it seems to be at least only intermittent now. Hopefully, it'll get better with time.

It seems that Gmail deletes what it considers spam without notice to the recipient.

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Old 10-23-2015, 11:34 AM   #5
Matt Weasner
Forum Clasp

Ok, thanks for the info, Andrew.

I'll keep a closer eye on any PM conversations going forward.

Cheers,
Matt
Old 10-23-2015, 03:28 PM   #6
Mike Greene
Administrator
Wizard of Oz

Gmail wasn't denying delivery, just rate limiting the delivery. Apparently the IP my new server was assigned was previously used for spamming. So i'm having to deal with improving the email sender rep for a brand new server on a previously abused IP address.

Managing email systems is something I'm quite familiar with (having run an ISP for 21 years) so it wasn't a big deal to do all the right things, such as SPF records, DKIM signing, DMARC policies etc. Still pretty annoying.

Gmail seems to calmed down quite a bit, outlook (and others that use their RBL are not quite so nice) I've submitted delisting requests numerous times to no avail, fortunately rejections to those providers are relatively low.

This would be a good time for all members to have a look at their profile and make sure their email address is correct. I get lots of bounces for non-existent accounts for active members. The caveat is that your old email must be able to receive the email confirmation to change the email address! (odd, but there you have it) if you are in that situation just send me an email or PM and I'll manually update your email account to whatever is current.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:19 PM   #7
Andrew Lenz

Mike, I'm pretty darn certain that there were report posts that I found at BDF for which the corresponding email message never arrived (ever) in my inbox. That said, things have definitely improved.

Thanks for all of your hard work, Mr. Admin!

Andrew

Old 10-23-2015, 06:09 PM   #8
Mike Greene
Administrator
Wizard of Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Lenz View Post
Mike, I'm pretty darn certain that there were report posts that I found at BDF for which the corresponding email message never arrived (ever) in my inbox. That said, things have definitely improved.

Thanks for all of your hard work, Mr. Admin!

Andrew
Gmail recently started "classifying" email, ie; bulk, social media, adverts, etc. So they may be filtering in a way that some gmail users are not accustomed to. If you look in your gmail interface you should see a number of tabs along the top, check to see if any of those missing emails haven't been filtered into those folders.

According to my logs, gmail hasn't ever actually 'rejected' any emails, only rate limited the delivery. Which is funny, because the 'rate' (volume) of email is very low from the forum, probably around 20 or so a day at best.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:12 PM   #9
Andrew Lenz

I use the older alternative Gmail web interface (without threading), so, for me, I don't have any tabs across the top.

There are some folders hidden off to the left (Promotion, Update, etc.) but all those messages are also in my main inbox. (I checked.) Those folders just show messages in my inbox that meet Google's filter criteria.

If I send a message to myself, Gmail simply sends it to /dev/null and I never see it in any folder. (I've tried emailing reminders to myself and they just disappear.)

Maybe it has to do with some global setting used by the university which I have my alumni account through.

Andrew

Old 10-24-2015, 11:21 AM   #10
Mike Greene
Administrator
Wizard of Oz

And folks praise gmail for their "awesome" spam filters, but in reality, they (gmail) are very heavy handed in their treatment of inbound email and bit bucket way to much legit email.