Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-26-2019, 02:53 PM   #1
Repip
Forum Member

Default Bagpipe Refurbish

Two questions to those that know:

When refurbishing a bagpipe how does one:

A - strip the old finish off (wax/oil/varnish) without damaging the wood?
B - when you polish them up again are the steps a good oil then friction wax
on a lathe? And what wax is commonly used?

Thanks
Repip is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-26-2019, 03:27 PM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Bagpipe Refurbish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repip View Post
Two questions to those that know:

When refurbishing a bagpipe how does one:

A - strip the old finish off (wax/oil/varnish) without damaging the wood?
B - when you polish them up again are the steps a good oil then friction wax
on a lathe? And what wax is commonly used?

Thanks
Use paint stripper if removing varnish...clean out the combing with a tooth brush as you move along. Wipe down the wood with neutral spirits prior to refinishing. Ive done a number of sets...the remover had no deleterious effect on ivory silver or the abw. I’d suggest caution near imitation Ivory.

For wax finish removal ..it would seem easier to put the parts on a lathe and spin off the old wax with neutral spirits. But chucking- unchecking might be bothersome...so ? maybe just a terry cloth and neutral spirits by hand rubbing...if going to apply New wax. I’ve always used ‘bowling alley’ wax...hard finish. Follow apply and dry time directions on the can. Clean excess promptly from combing with a tooth brush.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:13 PM   #3
BaggyMcPipes
Forum Regular

I agree with gaitero, I did my pipes just as he describes two years ago: paint stripper to get the varnish off, toothbrush for the combing, oil, then I did put the parts on a lathe and I spun-on a coating of carnauba wax. I've since touched them up with beeswax.

*I also agree with his cautionary words regarding imitation ivory- I was careful to remove/carefully protect all my faux-ivory mounts before applying the stripper.

**Also, when lathing the wax on, I neglected to protect my glasses and ended up with cooled, hardened wax all over them. Do wear safety goggles/facemask not only for safety, but also to keep the wax as much off you, your hair, glasses, beard, etc, etc as possible.

I'm very pleased with the matte finish this gives pipes, I think you'll be pleased with the result!

Best of luck!
BaggyMcPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:32 PM   #4
super8mm
Forum Member

If you are going to mount the sticks on a wood lathe use what is called a “Apprentice Dead Center” on the drive end and a Revolving Cone Center on the tail stock.

I just fixed a gents Chanter the weekend and turned a imitation ivory sole for it and turned a shoulder on the chanter to take the chip out and slide the sole on.

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p...ce-Dead-Center

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p...ng-Cone-Center
super8mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 05:25 PM   #5
Jon Snow
Forum Gold Medal

I used lacquer thinner and a toothbrush to remove the finish on mine. Rubbed almond oil on them which I repeat every year or so. I think they look great.

Lacquer thinner is EXTREMELY flammable (particularly the vapor). Use outdoors or in the garage only.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:59 AM   #6
Scott56
Forum Member

I refurbished some old Pakistani pipes which and been in a box and got damp so some grey fuzz mold was on them. After I stripped the finish, which appeared to be paint, I used black lacquer and black wood dye. They turned out fairly nice because then you could see the wood grain underneath the finish. While I probably wouldn't recommend the same procedure for high quality pipes, these were usually loaned to beginners in the band to get the feel of drones when learning.
Scott56 is offline   Reply With Quote