Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-06-2019, 12:48 AM   #21
Graineag
Forum Member

Default Re: Chanter reeds, what makes good, what makes bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Fogelman View Post
Arundo Donax is a non-native, invasive species in North America and, at least here in San Diego, is seen as a pest to be removed.
Ah, yes. You're quite right. I guess I was thinking ironic in the sense that the two culprits taking out groves of arundo donax are development and protection from development.

But yes, it is an invasive species in CA. Might be a good idea to stock up on the good stuff while we still can.

Here's a link to Ted Anderson's webpage for reed cane and other reedmaking supplies. He specifically mentions that the cane he harvests for UP chanter reeds is soft, unlike the harder cane more typically found in CA.

http://www.piperssupply.com/index.htm
Graineag is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-10-2019, 09:26 PM   #22
TwitchyFingers
Holy smoking keyboard!

I wish the phragmites australis that grows in Michigan was useful for reeds. That invasive junk is taking over.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:01 PM   #23
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwitchyFingers View Post
I wish the phragmites australis that grows in Michigan was useful for reeds. That invasive junk is taking over.
All over New England as well.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:53 AM   #24
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

I would guess that we aren't all that far off from a quality synthetic replica material of Arundo Donax for the GHB. Obviously there are decent synthetic chanter reeds with off the shelf plastics, but I'm specifically referring to a material that mimics cane's cellular structure and material properties. Légère for example might already be close to doing this as it was promised in the past provided there were a GHB market for it.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:10 AM   #25
MacTallanambeann
Forum Silver Medal

A synthetic reed certainly would be good if it sounds right and can get over the 'traditionalist' barrier to it's adoption. I certainly would be up for some.
MacTallanambeann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:20 PM   #26
zarb
Forum Gold Medal

Send a message via AIM to zarb

ALL of the cane that grows in California is of the same DNA, as here it cannot flower and produce seed. Here cane reproduces from pieces of the genetic material that break off and find friendly places for growth, much like crabgrass. I suspect that this is true of many of the growing regions around the Mediterranean as well. The biggest variable in cane (Arundo Donax) is the height from the stalk which the particular piece is cut, as the varying heights of the stalk have different amounts of Lignin. Lignin can be thought of as the resin that holds the cells and the fibers together. Lignin is the resin in the fiberglass-like piece that is the cane slip. There may be local variation in expression of some of the genetics due to climate, micro-climate, or degree days or amount of sunlight, but in California, the cane is largely the same, with only local conditions providing variance.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:32 PM   #27
Harley G
Forum Member

One of my PM's does a reed run whenever he goes to Scotland.

Without being brand specific, he has a personal relationship with one of the largest producers of GHB reeds so he gets to cherry pick.

In a morning he tests about 300 reeds. Of this 300 he selects about 100 that have the crow pitch and pressure he is looking for. Of that (aprox) 100 he gets about 10 he would keep as his own personal solo reeds, the rest go to the band.

Of that, (say 10) reeds, he gets 2 or 3 after blowing in for a couple of weeks, that he feels are great reeds.

Thereafter, every time he competes with one of these reeds his bum is shut so tight he could not sit on a greasy match, in fear of the possibility this great reed may choose this day to blow out. He claims to have had one competition reed that lasted almost 2 years whereas most would not last a few months, sometimes weeks.

He is A grade and very picky with a great ear. Do the math on the original 300 reeds he had to pick from.

Who gets the reeds that he rejected? They do not get thrown out.

He got to cherry pick after the reed maker had already cherry picked for the top bands he supplies to.

Seems luck is what makes a great reed because the maker, despite his/her skills, is still using cane, a living breathing organism.

2 stroke mower principles seem relevant.

Starts for no apparent reason,

Runs for no apparent reasons,

Stops for the same no apparent reason.
Harley G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:22 PM   #28
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley G View Post

Thereafter, every time he competes with one of these reeds his bum is shut so tight he could not sit on a greasy match, in fear of the possibility this great reed may choose this day to blow out. He claims to have had one competition reed that lasted almost 2 years whereas most would not last a few months, sometimes weeks.
I’m sorry. What did you say?

This this some sort of Aussie slang?
Old 08-13-2019, 05:33 AM   #29
DNorwood
Forum Regular

Spent $1200 to get $36.00 in 'quality' reeds. whew. Sure, there's some variability on the quality of an organic product.... but wow.
And yet, we have entire bands who produce an amazing sound too. Hats off to them!

We all know this happens. We've seen the plethora of reeds sitting in the bin at the "bagpipe store".

This is why I would buy reeds from someone like Shawn Husk. It's a matter of trust and confidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley G View Post

Of that, (say 10) reeds, he gets 2 or 3 after blowing in for a couple of weeks, that he feels are great reeds.
DNorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:54 AM   #30
diefenbaker
Forum Member

I second that for Colin MacLellan, great reeds too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNorwood View Post
This is why I would buy reeds from someone like Shawn Husk. It's a matter of trust and confidence.
diefenbaker is offline   Reply With Quote