Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Read Only Archive > Technique & Instrument Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Archive Old threads from the Technique and Instrument Forum.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-22-2006, 07:36 PM   #61
David Corbett
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to David Corbett Send a message via Yahoo to David Corbett
Default Re: teflon tape

ok, gotta throw this out there. 3 pages of "hemp" "waxed hemp", hemp hemp hemp..

Um.. isn't most of what we're using now.. especially the yellow stuff, actually "linen thread?"

(ducking for cover, but not spilling the beer on the run)
Old 05-22-2006, 07:48 PM   #62
the Jamesinator
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Teflon is good in a few ways.
1) you cant wind it in a cork screw pattern on your drones, that so when you turn your drones, they move up or down slightly, and it is easier to make minute adjustments
2)I like using it on my chanter, because I find the chanter doesnt slip out as easily
3)I like using it on the blowpipe, because I find for me personally, the hemp rots really fast on the blowpipe, so if I use teflon, this problem doesn't happen.

Just have to be sure to keep adding teflon every so often, because it does wear down.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:05 PM   #63
PMT
Holy smoking keyboard!

I used teflon for years on the blowstick even after dumping it on the rest of my pipes for this very reason. I did notice however that the joint was rarely completely airtight, so I now lubricate the hemp joint with a heavy dose of beeswax and parafin mix that seems to stop the rot.
In regard to the use on a chanter to stop it slipping out, this is one that is definitely not recommended for that very reason. Teflon has too little resistance and is generally known as the best way for a chanter to slip out.
In regard to the threaded tuning slides, I agree. That is one good aspect!
Sorry if I keep on about HEMP, we all know it is linen thread, however a) I am not going to type that too many times, and b) 30 years of habit and the fact everyone knows what I am talking about is not going away in a hurry )
Old 05-22-2006, 08:12 PM   #64
David Corbett
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to David Corbett Send a message via Yahoo to David Corbett

just messing with some of ya'll, being fairly new to the pipes (less than 5 years), I only in the last year learned that "hemp" actually is "linen". There is the possibility that other new people are out there just now discovering this tidbit.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:14 PM   #65
PMT
Holy smoking keyboard!

Aware of that David, hence the smiley! Hope you didn't spill your beer while I was after you1
Old 05-22-2006, 08:16 PM   #66
Randy McIntosh
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally posted by the Jamesinator:
Teflon is good in a few ways.
2)I like using it on my chanter, because I find the chanter doesnt slip out as easily
I can personnaly say don't do this! i found out the hard way last year.

By the right quick march, strike, bounce, catch ...boy that was a loooong parade!
Old 05-23-2006, 04:19 AM   #67
THuD1
Forum Member

Having played for over 30 years and trying everything from TEFLON tape (white), TEFLTON GAS TAPE (pink), to yellow hemp, to black prewaxed hemp or linen, to dental floss, I feel I can make a suitable response.
Teflon tape tends to shred when in contact with any bore oil eg. almond oil.
Dental floss - feels abrasive and tuning not as fine.
Yellow hemp - OK
Black prewaxed - BEST of all.

I cover the waxed hemp with a few wipes of soft beeswax to do a final seal. I also lubricate regularly with .......

LANOLIN - sheep wool fat - has been around for centuries - natural, does not swell hemp GREAT!!

Try it