Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Read Only Archive > Technique & Instrument Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Archive Old threads from the Technique and Instrument Forum.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-09-2006, 06:22 PM   #21
the Jamesinator
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Re: Teflon or no Teflon

Hi Bob, I haven't read any of the replies in this thread, so I appologize if I repeat anything that's already been said. Teflon tape(as you say) is very good in that you can adjust your drones very very slightly with a slight turn because the teflon is acting like a corkscrew. This is excellent in solos, but in a band, it is a bit of a hassle for the guy doing the drone tuning, because they don't know which way you have your teflon wound, and they have to take the time to figure it out, and especially when you have alot of people in your band, it isn't good to be wasting extra time trying to figure out which way to turn a guy's drones to tune them. But as I said before, this is an awesome idea for solos.
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-09-2006, 09:04 PM   #22
John McCain
Holy smoking keyboard!

I haven't read any of the latest replies either, but if I had I'd say that when tuning you don't have many choices. If you turn the wrong way, there's only one other way left.

Best, John
Old 06-12-2006, 02:18 PM   #23
ncpiper
Forum Member

Hey Bob,

Interesting topic. I am a believer in both however I don't know why you would use the dental floss on the tuning pins. I havenít thought of trying that.

Here is what I have learned over the years. The dental floss (waxed is best) is used for the joints that make contact to the bag. I have yet to find any proof that it is abrasive I have been using it for years on my teeth and they don't appear to be wearing down.

The reason it's used at the joints that contact the bag is because that is where the highest moisture is found and where the hemp would break down the quickest. So the end of my chanter is also using floss and I havenít had to touch it coming up on 2 years now, perfect fit every single time and it sees a lot of in and out time on a weekly basis.

As far as the tuning pins go I use Teflon for the qualities you mentioned earlier. I guess dental floss would work but hemp and Teflon, to me, seem to provide that better threaded tuning feel I like.

Hope I made some sense of it for you.

Your band mate,
Bozo

aka
Ted
Old 06-18-2006, 06:20 PM   #24
Jerry R. Pearce
Forum Clasp

Bob: Just get your friend to watch the video by Jim McGillivray, his first video. I beleve that is the Pipes Ready video. Jim not only uses but recommends the use of teflon tape on the dtuning pins of the drones. As he says, he can actually program which way the drone will move when he is tuning and he programs that into the tape immedaitely after applying it to the pins.