Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Read Only Archive > Technique & Instrument Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Archive Old threads from the Technique and Instrument Forum.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-17-2006, 07:54 PM   #1
RevPipe
Forum Member

Default Loose Bass Drone Mid Section

I have a beautiful new set of pipes - my first - but find that the bass drone mid section is rather loose and easily moved, tightening only when brought far down on the tuning slide, which seems to indicate that the bore is not uniform. Is this typical? Any suggestions?
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-17-2006, 08:00 PM   #2
the Jamesinator
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Re: Loose Bass Drone Mid Section

I am also playing a fairly new set of pipes, and the bass drone midsection is only tight when it is tuned high up, and gets really loose when brought down, which is a problem because it sometimes slides, and I am afraid to add more hemp because it may crack when i go to put the bass drone back together. What has happened is there has been a bow manufactured inside the drone. Why this is, is beyond me. Alot of times, in older pipes, there will be a spot worn into the wood because of all the years of sliding it on the hemp, but this doesnt really make sense for a newer set of pipes, and the only solution I have thus far been told is to get the middle section of the drone re-bored, which sucks.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:48 PM   #3
David Marshall
Holy smoking keyboard!

The wood has obviously settled a bit, causing probably a very slight taper in the bore. The manufacturer can redrill just taking a couple thousandths of an inch off the inside to straighten it up. You might even want to wait a bit to let them settle further. No big issue other than the hassle of it.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:35 AM   #4
RevPipe
Forum Member

Thanks. My instructor suggested giving it a year.