Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Read Only Archive > Beer Tent Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent Archive Old threads from the Beer Tent Forum.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-27-2005, 09:29 AM   #1
Dave McWilliams
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Does anyone play the pipes with Asthma?

I recently had two bouts with Viral Bronchitis. My doctor thinks I may have developed Asthma. Is ther anyone who plays the pipes with Asthma?
Gold Sponsor
Old 12-27-2005, 09:50 AM   #2
Richard Strayer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Does anyone play the pipes with Asthma?

Aye. As with any aerobic activity, it shouldn't be a problem so long as you control it properly. In addition to piping, I used to be an endurance athelete (distance cycling - gave it up because of time, not asthma).

If your condition warrants it, you might ask your physician if s/he thinks you would benefit from a preventative medication, such as Singulair or Severent; otherwise, you should at least have an albuterol rescue inhaler (Proventil or Ventolin, etc.) Just don't rely on over-the-counter remedies; if you have been diagnosed with asthma you should be sure to treat it properly.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:57 AM   #3
Ian Lawther

I recall a fellow teenager when I was learning who was encouraged in his learning of the pipes by his doctor because the aerobic exercise involved would help his asthma.

Ian
Old 12-27-2005, 11:08 AM   #4
Alex Anderson
Forum Clasp

I have athsma but most of the things that trigger an attack are indoors, such as house dust, dander, mites and molds, so I am usually OK while playing and/or competing.

Just keep the Albuterol handy.

Who knows, in the future I may be playing bellows pipes only.

Alex
Old 12-27-2005, 01:06 PM   #5
SteveD
Forum Regular

Add me to the list. Just to reiterate, prevention is the key. Singulair twice a day, and albuterol in the pocket or sporran.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:39 PM   #6
the Jamesinator
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I used to have athsma. I took my puffers for about 2 years before it finally went away. It didn't affect my piping a whole lot, it just affected me when i went running or bicycling for long distances
Old 12-27-2005, 04:47 PM   #7
New Hudson Highlander
Holy smoking keyboard!

Yep. Mine seemed to develop the same way.

A puff of albuterol usually helps me before playing. Everyone is individual, though; work with your Dr. to see what works best for you. If he or she doesn't "do" asthma on a regual basis, ask for a referral to an allergist who does.

I've heard both sides on the asthma/piping issue; that piping helps and that piping, as with other aerobic activities, can trigger episodes.

Every asthematic is different. The key is to KEEP it under control, which may or may not be easy...and means taking the appropriate meds even when you feel OK. As was mentioned, some meds are for acute "attacks" and some for maintenance, and sometimes they overlap.

-NHH
Old 12-27-2005, 07:17 PM   #8
Bill M
Forum Regular

Another asthma piper here.
Also keep the inhaler in my sporran.
No real problem.
All the best!
Old 12-27-2005, 08:00 PM   #9
Drum Sgt & Piper
Forum Regular

I've had Asthma from birth and used to go to Great Ormond Street Hospital for breathing exercises from the age of 4 until I started playing the Bugle at 5 years old.
They said I don't need to go back for anymore breathing exercises because of playing the bugle.

I played the bugle at band each week till I was 18 then joined a pipe band, but because I was not playing the bugle as much the Asthma started to came back.

There are triggers house dust, mites, moulds, animal fur, cigarette smoke, hair spray, perfume, pollen, chemicals, worrying plus more.

My Asthma will not go away this time as Iím allergic to most animal fur and I have 10 cats 2 dogs a rabbit and a ferret. This has not put me in hospital yet.

Be aware of chemical too like those used in fog machines I was at a function and they used one of those machines cut it short I was in Hospital the next day for a week because of it.
I was going to use one of these machines for a job Iíll be doing next year but I canít.

Playing the pipes has strengthened my lungs.
Just before Christmas I bought a new Bannatyne Hide Bag, I played a medium Bannatyne bag before but was getting too much pain in my left hand and was told the bag was too big.
My Pipe Major leant me a small Bannatyne Hide Bag and stocks to try out, it was brill no pain but only one problem, they were amazed that I could blow the bag up in one breath so I got the Extended Small.

For me playing the pipes has helped, I keep an inhaler in my sporran I have one in my pipe box there every where Iím sure there breeding

You just need to manage it properly.
Take care
Lynn
/-\
.II
Old 12-28-2005, 03:47 AM   #10
Robin Beck
Holy smoking keyboard!

Aye, this one has been raised before, and the simple answer is nothing can be better for your chest than blowing pipes, I have asthma and find that is not as bad when I blow regulary. Also every Doctor I've known has advicated this. Especialy the respiritory experts. Just dont expect too much of yourself, and set your pipes to suit.