Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Read Only Archive > Beer Tent Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent Archive Old threads from the Beer Tent Forum.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-16-2006, 11:13 AM   #1
the old marshal
Forum Clasp

Default Speak up, I am going Deaf !!!!!!!!

I teach once a week at a music school here in Edinburgh,this week one of my pupils ,prior to playing the Bagpipe,produced this little box ,with two separate compartments,opened it up and proceeded to put two high tech ...Ear Plugs in her ears,on enquiring what the Hell was going on ,she replied that as she also plays other instruments at the School, the other teachers were scared that her hearing may become impaired playing the GREAT HIGHLAND WAR PIPE!!!and her musical career may be put at risk..imagine..piper Laidlaw V.C./K.O.S.B at the battle of Loos in the Fist War,...When confusion reigned and Laidlaws C.O,uttered the famous words....Pipe them together Laidlaw,for Gods sake pipe them together,he replies,.Haud on a minute guys before we go over the top I will hae tae pit ma ear plugs in...Do you think it will ever catch on....lets hope not!!!!!!!.
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-16-2006, 11:33 AM   #2
Funkee Munkee
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Speak up, I am going Deaf !!!!!!!!

I don't think the sound of cannon fire would be much helped with plugs either.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:41 AM   #3
rpeitzsch
Holy smoking keyboard!

Actually, I see earplugs being used more frequently by both pipers and drummers (including myself). There've been several threads in this forum on their use and what type to get.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:42 AM   #4
MXT
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I insist on my daughter wearing musician's ear plugs whenever she plays the pipes. With an ear damaging decibel level, protecting her hearing is important, especially since she is only 11. (If she is ever on a battlefield, I can only hope she would protect her hearing there as well). And with another daughter who is hearing impaired, I only know too well how important auditory abilities are.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:51 AM   #5
Paul Gretton
Forum Gold Medal

As a Scot, you have an interest in maintaining your country's status as the most unhealthy nation on earth. You can do your wee bit for that status by discouraging people from doing something as sensible as wearing earplugs. While you're at it, feed the lass a few Mars bars (ideally deep-fried).

Paul Gretton
Old 03-16-2006, 11:59 AM   #6
the Jamesinator
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

ear plugs are handy when you're playing in a band inside during practice, not only because they help your ears, but you can hear everything that's going on, and they reduce the echoing affect. So, it helps you out as a band piper to wear earplugs during practice.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:03 PM   #7
dagdaj
Forum Silver Medal

I have taken to wearing them inside when playing. I hate it, but it is now necessary. 90+ decibels is enough to get OSHA all over your grill in a factory...the 120+ that a couple bagpipes and drums can make is enough for me.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:07 PM   #8
the old marshal
Forum Clasp

Well....there you go,I am learning something everyday...thanks to all who replied!!!using the famous phrase..YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE!!I will buy a set and the weekend..
Old 03-16-2006, 12:14 PM   #9
rpeitzsch
Holy smoking keyboard!

Before you buy a set, do a search in the forums for previous discussions on earplugs. Personally, I don't think much of those cheap foam things. I use, and really like, the Etymotic ER-20 earplugs. They cut out just about all of the echo in the practice hall and my ears no longer ring after practice.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:11 PM   #10
ZWDFA
Forum Regular

What if one does not expirence the ringing? Should they still get earplugs? Thanks