Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-25-2015, 08:02 PM   #1
Andrew Lenz

Default How do we get people to read the Trading Post rules?

I'm going to whine a little bit, as the Trading Post moderator. (Adam fills in when I ask him to, but otherwise, it's me.)

I get private messages about the Trading Post. At least 95% of questions are already answered in the Trading Post Rules thread if members would bother to read it.

Common questions are below. I'm always polite in my PMs to people, but my somewhat snarky answers are below.

- I sold/found my chanter, people keep emailing me. How do I make them stop?

The rules say to do a Report Post. Do it.

It's also SUPER rude to complete a transaction and not get it archived. I get complaints from people who say that they are not getting a response from a seller—who turns out sold the item 2 months earlier. RUDE. Transaction done? REPORT IT!

- I relisted my pipes after two weeks but they aren't showing up!

9 days is not two weeks. 13 days is not two weeks. 14 days is two weeks. Wait at least 14 days.

If you don't want to wait, in the meantime do a Report Post asking to have your existing listing edited to reflect your desired change.

- I relisted my pipes what I first listed a month ago but they aren't showing up!

You have to do a Report Post on the original listing unless the original listing is really old and is already in the Trading Post Archive.
(Mike Greene, the admin, manually moves old TP posts to the TP Archive at my request. Typically, posts will remain active—unarchived—for 6-9 months.)

If you have your account's Control Panel option "Default Thread Age Cut Off" set to anything less than the "Show threads from the last year" setting, your still-active listing may not show up. That's not my fault, that's yours.
(I have my cut off set to "Show all threads".)

- The post I made last night hasn't shown up, what's the problem?

The rules say up to 24 hours or more for approval. The post you made in the evening I may not see until the next day. Posting right before bed, then sending me a Private Message the next morning asking why it's not approved is you being impatient.

Also, I get at least several Report Post notifications each month from people wanting me to archive posts ALREADY in the Trading Post Archive. Seriously! Pay attention, people.

People PM me asking to have their posts archived. That is FAR MORE time consuming for me. Just do a Report Post like the Rules say, the Rules say that for a reason.

Ok. Whining complete.

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-25-2015, 08:13 PM   #2
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: How do we get people to read the Trading Post rules?

Ah, Andrew,

This... leading the Heathen to the Light...
always takes longer... than first supposed... :)

KBO... KBO... (A Churchillian remark. :)

Last edited by Pip01; 07-25-2015 at 08:17 PM.
Pip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:33 PM   #3
olypiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Perhaps in this YouTube age we live in a tutorial video might help some people. But then you would have to make one. Just a thought.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:36 PM   #4
Doug Murray
Forum Regular

Require an online test on Trading Post rules before you can post.
You have to decide if it's more work to correct errors one at a time or plow thru a test requirement. Airplanes that get a pre-flight inspection are less likely to crash.
Doug Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:37 PM   #5
Josh Whitson
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by olypiper View Post
Perhaps in this YouTube age we live in a tutorial video might help some people. But then you would have to make one. Just a thought.
The problem is getting people to view the video. If they won't click on the link to read the rules, also highly unlikely they will click on a link to watch a video.
Josh Whitson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:43 PM   #6
tbrown747
Forum Clasp

I like the idea of passing a brief quiz before submitting a post request.

"When my item sells I will:
A) celebrate with the dog
B) report post
C) all of the above"
tbrown747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:51 PM   #7
Doug Murray
Forum Regular

P.S.
There exists far more efficient software modules available for running classified ad forums that require virtually zero effort on the part of a moderator. All changes (edits, deletions) are done by the seller/buyer via password entry to serial number identified ads. All the moderator has to do is spot check for banned items offered for sale and delete them without comment.
If interested, PM me for a good source that works.
Doug Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 01:46 AM   #8
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

The online game method: posting ads is free, but support costs $5 a PM.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 02:17 AM   #9
caveal
Forum Gold Medal

It'll never happen. Grit your teeth or promote a trusted forumite to trade moderator.
caveal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:21 AM   #10
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I'll join in the whining: why aren't people allowed to post images of what they're selling? It's so very utterly basic. Can you imagine Ebay or any merchandise site with no photos? Especially with vintage/used things in general and used pipes in particular clear photos are a fundamental necessity.

This flaw pretty much makes me ignore the Trading Post.

Yes links... in the rare instances the seller gives one, half the time they don't work (linking to a site that requires a password etc etc).

Just checked the top ten selling posts- two had links for photos (both worked!)

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 07-26-2015 at 11:25 AM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote