Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-08-2017, 12:40 PM   #1
Piperwalton
Forum Regular

Default Dunfion Smallpipe Chanter/reed

So I've had these blackwood Dunfion smallpipes in A with a polypenco chanter for a long time (got them before my GHBs); but I've always had problems getting the high A and G to play in tune. If I get the A to play in tune an octave above low A, the high G is really sharp (sounds almost like an actual G#). If I get that flat enough to be in tune, then of course the high A is too flat.

My instructor at the time suggested I try a new reed (just synthetic smallpipe chanter reeds), but that didn't help. If anything it's made it worse: this new reed is rather hard, gives a really harsh sound, and often squeals when trying to blow it in.

I've heard sound samples of Dunfion pipes, and they sound lovely; but I can't for the life of me get mine to sound that good (of course, my drones are fine). I'm wondering if there's anything I should do to this reed (scrape, cut, etc) that might help, or if I should try altering the high A hole?

This chanter is polypenco, and Dunfion does offer a blackwood; would my best bet be to just order the blackwood chanter?
Piperwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-08-2017, 02:14 PM   #2
BaggyMcPipes
Forum Regular

Default Re: Dunfion Smallpipe Chanter/reed

I don't mean to suggest that you haven't tried this, you may very well have, but is tuning it so the high g is sharp, then taping the high g back down into-tune not an option?
BaggyMcPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:27 PM   #3
Piperwalton
Forum Regular

That does help a bit, though the hole is so small it's hard to fine-tune it; but it does help. The harshness of the sound is still a problem though.
Piperwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:47 PM   #4
BaggyMcPipes
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piperwalton View Post
That does help a bit, though the hole is so small it's hard to fine-tune it; but it does help. The harshness of the sound is still a problem though.
I see... I had some Dunfion smallpipes for a while- I had an A/D combo set of polypenco.

It's been a while, but as I recall I had a synthetic reed for the D chanter and a wood reed for the A chanter. Now, mine were bellows-blown, if yours are mouth-blown then a synthetic reed might be the best option no matter what for the sake of longevity... But I do remember the A chanter sounding very mellow and sweet while the D chanter was shrill as a banshee.

Then again, this might have been more due to the pitch difference, not the different types of reeds... But getting a wood reed from Dunfion might be a good thing to try before spending money on a new chanter... Once all was said and done, I think a replacement reed cost me some $50 USD. So it was a bit spendy, but certainly less than a blackwood chanter...
BaggyMcPipes is offline   Reply With Quote