Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-27-2019, 09:28 PM   #1
tattoocrassy
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Video and audio recordings

I have not had much luck recording myself when playing. I have tried a android phone but the audio never sounds good. What is a cheap device i can get from Amazon that is tried and true.
tattoocrassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-28-2019, 01:32 AM   #2
OHCalman
Forum Member

Default Re: Video and audio recordings

I use a Zoom H2n with a windsock and the gain turned down. Works well both indoors and outdoors.
OHCalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:40 AM   #3
John McCain
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCalman View Post
I use a Zoom H2n with a windsock and the gain turned down. Works well both indoors and outdoors.
A Zoom H2n is a very good recording device per my experience. It's audio only.

A Zoom Q2n-4K is a good video/audio recorder.

If you need video, and your phone is good, a number of external mics are available for phones. Rode makes some good ones for example. It depends if you need portability.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:23 AM   #4
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

If your budget reaches $250 I'd suggest the Shure MV88+. It's a high quality microphone that you can use with iOS and Android devices.

For just audio recording, a Zoom H1 is probably the best cheap recorder.

To record video you'll probably get the best results at the low end by using any of the Zoom video recorders. Most video recorders, including most cameras, use compression and that will mess up the sound. The zoom video cameras are designed to record audio really well. They compromise on the video quality.

If you use a digital camera for the video (a cheap one will do), you can use an H1 to record the audio, and then dub it onto the video and get much better results than using the built in mic.
Old 06-28-2019, 11:09 AM   #5
tattoocrassy
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Thanks for the tips. Someone had mentioned to me to get a go pro video camera but they are kinda expensive. I mostly need it for self correction on techniques and evaluation of progress on new tunes that and to post for others to critique my playing so i know what others think i can improve on.
tattoocrassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:36 PM   #6
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

I've never used a gopro, but I doubt you'd be happy with the audio.

For what you describe, I think a zoom h1 would be a good choice. They're rated for up to 120dB, so you won't run into problems with distortion. Just put it about six feet out at about chest level or a bit lower.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:47 PM   #7
piper Q
Forum Silver Medal

I have a GoPro and while you can play with the optical settings the sound recording quality depends heavily upon the case you have it in. Though you could sit the naked camera on a table.

However using a simple digital camera, I get bot decent sound and picture recordings.

Either way use a decent tripod or stand to support the camera. and then use the computer's editing software to achieve your desired finish.

As for recording with the cell phone most can achieve decent sound and picture quality, however you want a solid mount to hold the cell phone. Shaking is what usually ruins the quality of an image.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:17 PM   #8
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

I can’t recommend anything “cheap” but you’re just looking for something that can handle the bagpipe volume so if you find something rated to 120 dB as stated above you should be good. Phone mics are really only expecting you to talk into them.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 09:19 AM   #9
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
Phone mics are really only expecting you to talk into them.
I don't think that's necessarily the case. The iphone seems to have a frequency response from 20hz to 20khz and it wouldn't if it was just for voice.

I made this recording on an iPhone 4 with the built in mic:

https://soundcloud.com/piperbob/iphonerecording2

For comparison this is a recording with a studio microphone:

https://soundcloud.com/piperbob/m179-minstrelboy

It's clearly better, but the iPhone is really pretty decent. I think didn't make those recordings on the same day.

There's a really neat youtube video where Mary Spender goes into a recording studio to record a track and uses an iPhone with the Shure mv88+ alongside whatever microphones the engineer uses. At the end, the final track is good enough that I couldn't hear a real difference, although many recordists could hear a little difference in the high end. That's not the built in mic, but it's still pretty cool.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:49 PM   #10
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

My Pixel 2 handled my drone recordings just fine. I think if you have a phone from the last 2 years or so you'll probably make out okay to some extent. What you lose between a modern smart phone recording and a real microphone recording though is the depth, detail and sensitivity.

Partway through my recordings I decided to bite the bullet and purchase a Zoom H2n like others have recommended and I'm very glad I did. The files are a fair bit clearer than my Pixel recordings, the gain is automatic, and you can record in proper stereo or a mixed stereo + mid surroundings. A very, very useful feature. It also can Normalize your recordings right from it's settings which for me is also hugely useful to equalize everything.

I did get a wind muff for a few bucks and it works for well when outside. The only issue I've run into is the H2n is so good that it picks up birds, cars driving by in the distance, people working on in their yards. I listen back with headphones and it's the same as if I were listening live with my own ears. Kind of nuts.