Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-28-2019, 12:40 PM   #1
TwitchyFingers
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Mini MSR competition. Something I'd like to see.

There are so many nice two parted marches, strathspeys and reels languishing all but unnoticed in our books and archives, save for the occasional dusting off for a medley. It might be a nice addition to solo competitions, especially for the lower grades, to have a mini MSR where the competitor plays the three 2 parted tunes together as a set. A lot of the two parters seem to have more engaging melodies than their finger bending four and six part cousins. Learning to string together the march, strathspey and reel could also help develop musicality for student pipers.
I could be and am willing to be wrong on this idea.
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-28-2019, 01:05 PM   #2
EyeC
Forum Member

Default Re: Mini MSR competition. Something I'd like to see.

This is a great idea!
EyeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 01:28 PM   #3
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Yes, grade 4 should have abandoned the 4 part march ages ago. It is not necessary and limits those that will graduate to grade 3 where a SR is played.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:00 PM   #4
salmunmousavi
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwitchyFingers View Post
There are so many nice two parted marches, strathspeys and reels languishing all but unnoticed in our books and archives, save for the occasional dusting off for a medley. It might be a nice addition to solo competitions, especially for the lower grades, to have a mini MSR where the competitor plays the three 2 parted tunes together as a set. A lot of the two parters seem to have more engaging melodies than their finger bending four and six part cousins. Learning to string together the march, strathspey and reel could also help develop musicality for student pipers.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. It would allow for more creative freedom in choosing MSR tunes and allow for more challenges as a player. I can think of a dozen combinations off the top of my head.

If they would agree, I would agree!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite possibly one of the only Iranian players of the Highland Pipes in the world.
salmunmousavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:33 PM   #5
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

WUSPBA just got rid of their G4 Mini MSR for bands this season. Granted it was 4 parts march, which could be 1x4 parter or 2x2 parters, 2 parts strathspey, and 2 parts reel.

The RSPBA G4A for majors (at least a few years ago) was 4 parts each, with the option of each being 1x4 or 2x2.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:30 AM   #6
Wulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
Yes, grade 4 should have abandoned the 4 part march ages ago. It is not necessary and limits those that will graduate to grade 3 where a SR is played.
4A play an MSR in majors
Old 07-30-2019, 03:45 AM   #7
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulls View Post
4A play an MSR in majors
Iím talking solos as per the OP. (In the USA)
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:15 AM   #8
Matthew Quinn Martin
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
Iím talking solos as per the OP. (In the USA)
I think EUSPBA allows 2 two-parted 2/4's for the Grade 4 solo competition (man that's a lot of numbers)...please correct me if I'm wrong
Matthew Quinn Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:04 AM   #9
David
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwitchyFingers View Post
Nothing to be "wrong" about. I have been fashioning mini MSRs for my own amusement for several decades. The idea is great.

Even great 4-part 2/4s languish in the face of artificially extended marches. 40+ years back, I used to compete with Cowal Highland Gathering, a 4-parter, as my march. Up to senior amateur I usually won, even against Highland Wedding, Lord Alexander Kennedy, and friends. Then I hit the glass ceiling, and looked up and saw a most excellent crop of Canadian pipers who did play 6-parters with superb technique, tuning, and expression.

And at that level, alas, I believe all else being equal, the 6-parter wins. BUT as a youth category, or even an adult beginner category, 2-parters would be fantastic, and potentially more musical.

A worthy idea.

David is offline   Reply With Quote