Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-10-2019, 11:51 AM   #1
Skyelark
Forum Member

Default To pinch or not to pinch.....

Hey,

I just recently changed my chanter reed from one that was obviously a little to weak to one that is a little harder than normal. I am trying to break it in relatively quickly. I use a piper's pal reed protector but am wondering what folk's opinions are as to whether to pinch the reed a bit to speed up the process or to leave the thing well enough alone and let it come in on it's own sweet time?

I have heard opinions towards both, but would like some more input.

What do you do and why?
Skyelark is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-10-2019, 11:57 AM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: To pinch or not to pinch.....

What reed maker? Moulded or ridge cut? What h2o strength reed do you like to play...what strength was the one you considered now too weak?
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:05 PM   #3
Armorican
Forum Silver Medal

A lot of people now use small elastic bands like these.

https://rghardiestore.com/bagpipes/b...r-Reed-Bridles

Although it's far cheaper to buy them as orthodontic elastic/rubber bands.

One of these carefully placed on the reed body (no higher than the 'shoulders') makes the reed easier until it's blown in, then you can remove it.
Armorican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:18 PM   #4
Skyelark
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
What reed maker? Moulded or ridge cut? What h2o strength reed do you like to play...what strength was the one you considered now too weak?

My new reed is a Lee & Sons, my old reeds are Husk. They are both ridge cut. I have never tested the actual blowing pressure where I'm comfortable but play what are marketed as Easy/medium reeds. I realize there are differences there between what one maker would call easy/medium and another maker's reed.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:46 PM   #5
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyelark View Post
My new reed is a Lee & Sons, my old reeds are Husk. They are both ridge cut. I have never tested the actual blowing pressure where I'm comfortable but play what are marketed as Easy/medium reeds. I realize there are differences there between what one maker would call easy/medium and another maker's reed.
Jack is a proponent of squeezing lightly as needed and/or shaving....shaving vey very lightly...more than once . Don’t over do it. Termite dust.
Starting at the binding and going lightly across the blade width evenly all the way up towards the ridge. Did I say very lightly? Using a very sharp new blade. Somewhat ‘reducing’ the prominence of the ridge.
This guidance is straight from the horse’s mouth.
FYI...Easy-medium generally would be ca 26-28” h2o dry. You might resurrect the too easy reed with a Jori Chisholm reed poker or a Reed Wizard ( Tartantown) You might think it’s too light ( = yes if it easily gurgles under normal pressures when playing low G ) ..but might you be over blowing ? It can be as hard to play a very good sounding Easy reed as it is to play a fencepost gut buster. But it’s so much easier on the testes if controlled.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 02:12 PM   #6
Skyelark
Forum Member

Thank you El,

that is useful information and advice.....softly softly catchy monkey....
Old 08-11-2019, 07:49 AM   #7
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Regular

Nothing wrong with a wee squeeze, just don't throttle the life out of it.
As for scraping, if you are desperate or it is so hard you can't finish a tune then aye, go for it. Micron by micron, evenly on both sides. You can use a scalpel blade or some very fine grit sand paper on the edge of a table.
Otherwise I'd leave it be and work at it.

Tactics depend on your level of struggle.
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:02 AM   #8
PMT
Holy smoking keyboard!

A reed should blow into the right strength in a short period of time. Gone are the old gut buster days of blowing a hard reed until your stamina improved and you pretended the reed blew in. I always blow a reed in with no drones going (more to save the drones than anything else). A wee squeeze, properly done by holding the tips of the blades together should bounce back with quality cane, but it will give you the opportunity to give the reed a good play. Don't squeeze down in the staple and don't touch the blades anymore than you have to.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:52 AM   #9
colinmaclellan
Forum Gold Medal

A good reed should always be able to take a firm squeeze, until vibrating closer to the desired strength. Then the squeezing can be a little lighter.

If the reed collapses on squeezing, it's no good.

Discard.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:15 AM   #10
Skyelark
Forum Member

Great stuff!!

thanks all for the advice. "nothing wrong wi a wee squeeze"

I'm confident that I won't have to do any shaving, but will persist with a squeeze or two and blowing in a bit without the drones going.

Cheers all and happy Worlds week!!