Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Read Only Archive > Technique & Instrument Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Archive Old threads from the Technique and Instrument Forum.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-14-2006, 02:18 PM   #1
Canalpiper
Forum Silver Medal

Default teflon tape

My new instructor is extremely against the use of teflon tape. he claims the it is abrasive and will chew up the inside of your stocks and drones.
I just started using it last summer, I've gotten to like it because the weather changes were causing problems, especially with the tuning pins. many times one would be a touch loose, I'd add a very small amount of hemp and it became to tight to tune with one hand.
the tape is so much thinner that it makes for finer adjustments.
Has anyone heard of this "abrasiveness"? or have any of the Pipe makers out there done any testing on this?
Mike Z
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-14-2006, 02:22 PM   #2
Piper Mac
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: teflon tape

Never heard that teflon tape was abrasive, have heard that dental floss is. Could your instructor have been refering to that?
Old 05-14-2006, 02:42 PM   #3
Dick Sands
Forum Clasp

Yes, I've heard of it. Years ago this subject came up in another forum. Then I noticed the individuals who were insisting that it was abrasive and I realized this just might be a hoax. I searched high and low for solid information on any abrasive qualities of Teflon tape. I got told by one individual to "consider what Teflon tape is used in place of". That would be pipe joint dope. A lubricant. Duh!
It was a quickly concieved, easily executed, and lastingly believed Hoax!
I'm surprised it's still around. I use Teflon tape and enjoy the benefits of it. Easy to use and dirt cheap.
Now, as to your instructor being against it. Your instructor may not always be right, but he/she is always your instructor. Give in to those wishes until you move on. You will not get as much out of the experience if you buck against your instructor.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:51 PM   #4
Paul M Burke
Holy smoking keyboard!

I use tape on all my jonts and have no problems. I`ve never heard that it was abrasive, in fact I read a post recently saying the teflon was not a good choice for stocks as it is slippery and may come apart if you pick up your pipes by your drones.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:33 PM   #5
Richard Mao

teflon on tuning slides...musings... (not enough history/evidence for direct experience)

the effect might depend on how you wind the teflon tape.... if you apply it very flat and very smooth over a smooth underlying base of hemp... I don't see where there will be much friction to cause much wear

(please remember that older/heirloom/antique/well used pipes frequently exhibit bowing out of the tuning chamber due to the repeated act of tuning with HEMP as the long standing medium of joint joining.... )

If, on the other hand, you twist/bunch the application of the teflon a bit.... creating a set of ridges to achiever a screw thread effect... so when you twist to tune... you do get some resistance... but also some finer tuning action due to the teflon helping you in the screwing up and down motion...

I can imagine that the wood would be affected eventually... in a generation or so.

slippery teflon on stock joints? you don't want them to slip apart due to careless picking up of the pipes by the drones or whatever... don't use teflon on stock joints...

but from the point of view of wear on the blackwood of the stocks? hardly any effect at all, I would suppose.... because of the combined smooth application... and generally static nature of the joint... (i.e. insert drone, and never move it for a week or two or three and you get a lot fewer chances for friction).... centuries later you might see some chewing up...

fwiw

Beginnerís epiphany: Wow, thatís the first time it didnít suck!

Richard Mao, The Peking Piper ( PekingPiper@mao.org )
Old 05-14-2006, 04:07 PM   #6
Kitfox
Forum Silver Medal

Location: Los Angeles, Ca. USA, Earth, System of Sol, Milky Way Galaxy.

Teflon Tape is slippery stuff.
Go easy.
Because of the nature of Teflon you might accidentally connect a very over-hemped fitting which could stress the wood.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:46 PM   #7
Iain Sherwood
Holy smoking keyboard!

Teflon is NOT abrasive, it's used as bearing material in electric motors in small appliances.

I don't use it because it tends to shred over time when over-used. Small shreds can affect tone if allowed to stray into the tuning chambers. A tefloned pipe chanter can pop out of the stock, creating an embarassing and expensive 'crack' sound when it hits the concrete.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:15 PM   #8
Glenn Brown
Forum Regular

Hi everyone. Ive used teflon for as long as I can remember and have never had a problem with it. I think people should do whatever works for them and what they are comfortable with.

G
Old 05-14-2006, 05:22 PM   #9
Weeble
Forum Member

The first thing I noticed when I purchased Gordon Duncan's CD "Thunderstruck" was his tenor tuning slides. Unless there is a white hemp I am not aware of it looks awfully close to teflon tape. If it's good enough for him it's certainly good enough for me.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:01 PM   #10
Doug Walton
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally posted by Canalpiper:
My new instructor is extremely against the use of teflon tape. he claims the it is abrasive and will chew up the inside of your stocks and drones...
Yes - that is an interesting claim.