Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-06-2020, 11:28 AM   #1
DCYMPiper
Forum Member

Default Best reeds for a Naill poly chanter

Good morning! I'm looking for some advice on pipe chanter reeds. I recently purchased a beautiful set of Naills and I'm having a hard time finding a reed that I'm really happy with. When I ordered the pipes I had them send 3 Shepherd reeds (easy) and they were awful! Lol. Granted, maybe they were a little too easy because anything above C squealed like crazy! Lol.

Anyway, I'd like to hear what everyone else is using before I shell out more $ for something I'm gonna toss into the trash.

Thanks, everyone!

"Who's choking the duck?!!!"
DCYMPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-06-2020, 11:50 AM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Best reeds for a Naill poly chanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCYMPiper View Post
Good morning! I'm looking for some advice on pipe chanter reeds. I recently purchased a beautiful set of Naills and I'm having a hard time finding a reed that I'm really happy with. When I ordered the pipes I had them send 3 Shepherd reeds (easy) and they were awful! Lol. Granted, maybe they were a little too easy because anything above C squealed like crazy! Lol.

Anyway, I'd like to hear what everyone else is using before I shell out more $ for something I'm gonna toss into the trash.

Thanks, everyone!
You might know they suggest to use folded staple reeds...e.g Macphee,Warnock,...I’ve also used G1 platinum with great success.

If you got an Easy-Medium Shepherd reed I believe you’d have no issue either.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:53 AM   #3
DCYMPiper
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
You might know they suggest to use folded staple reeds...e.g Macphee,Warnock,...I’ve also used G1 platinum with great success.

If you got an Easy-Medium Shepherd reed I believe you’d have no issue either.
Thanks for the input! Appreciate it!

Old 04-06-2020, 12:18 PM   #4
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Thanks for the input! Appreciate it!
Just as an aside....sounds like you are way overblowing the Easy Shepherd reeds...I always advise people I work with on pipes ..” it’s as hard to play an easy reed ..as to play a hard reed..”

But if you can force yourself to ‘get a grip’...control any tendency to overblow..especially the high hand.. playing an Easy(er) reed with a rock hard bag is a great target and ultimately much more enjoyable.
Using a dial manometer to confirm your ‘preferred reed strength and to see/verify/develop steady blowing is a big plus.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:24 PM   #5
DCYMPiper
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Just as an aside....sounds like you are way overblowing the Easy Shepherd reeds...I always advise people I work with on pipes ..” it’s as hard to play an easy reed ..as to play a hard reed..”

But if you can force yourself to ‘get a grip’...control any tendency to overblow..especially the high hand.. playing an Easy(er) reed with a rock hard bag is a great target and ultimately much more enjoyable.
Using a dial manometer to confirm your ‘preferred reed strength and to see/verify/develop steady blowing is a big plus.
Good advice. I'll give it a try. These reeds are really, really easy. They're borderline to where if I get the drones going and steady, I'm over blowing the reed on the high hand. But I will definitely see if I can ease off and find the sweet spot.

I agree, if I could play with those reeds, it would definitely be nice!

Old 04-06-2020, 02:06 PM   #6
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Good advice. I'll give it a try. These reeds are really, really easy. They're borderline to where if I get the drones going and steady, I'm over blowing the reed on the high hand. But I will definitely see if I can ease off and find the sweet spot.

I agree, if I could play with those reeds, it would definitely be nice!
Have you or access to, a reed mandrel...to open the staple very,
slightly and increase the h2o” strength of the reeds.
Shepherd reeds are excellent .. shame to waste 3...send them to me...

Btw...when did you buy the pipes...from whom?

Last edited by el gaitero; 04-06-2020 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:27 PM   #7
Lancelot
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

If the current reeds don’t work out I have had good luck with G1 platinum and my Naill poly chanter.
Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:06 PM   #8
MacTallanambeann
Forum Silver Medal

I found that Shepherd reeds were a little tricky to set up in both my poly and blackwood Naill chanters. I switched them to Colin MacLellans reeds and they came in perfectly with just a tiny touch of tape here and there. They settled perfectly into tune and have been beautifully stable every time I pick them up since.
MacTallanambeann is offline   Reply With Quote