Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-14-2018, 10:01 PM   #51
Shawn Husk
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: New Ceol chanter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
Did you receive them?

I'd love to hear a reedmaker's viewpoint.

I decided to order one, but it will take a while, it's bespoke, with the big old-school imitation ivory sole.
I did. I really like the new Ceol chanter a lot. Very warm and harmonic chanter, quite high pitched but easy to reed and I think a very good choice for mid to upper level bands. Good stuff McCallum.

www.huskreeds.com
Shawn Husk is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-17-2018, 04:33 PM   #52
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Husk View Post
I did. I really like the new Ceol chanter a lot. Very warm and harmonic chanter, quite high pitched but easy to reed and I think a very good choice for mid to upper level bands. Good stuff McCallum.
Thanks for that! I look forward to getting mine.

I generally play McCallum chanters because the bands I've played with use them and a local reedmaker (Steve Megarity) makes reeds dialed in to suit them, needing little tape. (And sometimes no tape.)

So I can add the Ceol to the Mk2, Mk3, and B-flat McCallums I already play.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:18 PM   #53
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Just got the Ceol.

I haven't played it in a set of pipes yet. I mouth-blew it and a couple McCallum Mk3s with known reeds, and compared to those McCallums the Ceol has a similar voice but is slightly sharper and a bit clearer and brighter. High G is noticeably flatter (I think Patrick will like it, it will probably be great for hot dry climes and high altitudes) and the D is a hair flatter. (Just by ear, I'll check them out on a tuner when I can.)

Here they are:

Left: Ceol (large round holes)

Centre: Mk3 (smaller, slightly oval holes)

Right: Mk2 (large oval holes)

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 10-22-2018 at 05:36 PM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:32 PM   #54
piper_hm
Forum Gold Medal

Are these wood or plastic?
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:43 PM   #55
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

They're all plastic. I like the idea of wood, but not the reality of it.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:43 PM   #56
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I've done some playing on the Ceol now.

What I did today was to take a Megarity reed that's been dialed in on my MK3 for a while now, reliable and steady, and stick it in the Ceol.

Each chanter was tuned to 484 using the Braw tuner.

That reed, on the MK3, required virtually no tape. I have the tiniest bit of tape on each hole to give me a bit of fine-tuning leeway.

The first thing that struck me was how much deeper the reed had to be sunk in the Ceol reed-seat to get the same pitch as it had in the MK3. Once the reed was deep enough in the Ceol I got the same pitch and scale as the MK3 except for the flatter D and HG. To get everything balanced I had to sink the reed a hair more and increase the tape on everything else.

I have another reed that has a sharper built-in HG and D and it suits the Ceol's scale better than the MK3's scale. Goes to show that it's handy to have chanters with slightly different scales.

One interesting thing: that reed, in the MK3, doesn't skirl/crow on High A but in the Ceol it does.