Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.


Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Piobaireachd
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Piobaireachd For all things related to Piobaireachd ...

Platinum Sponsors
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2018, 10:40 AM   #1
Ron Teague
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Sacramento, California
Posts: 1,276
Default How many actually use Binneas

Mr. Grumpo, me, drug out his copy of Binneas. Why? I was bored and was woosy after being jet-lagged after a trip to Provence. I got to thinking, always a dangerous thing, about Binneas. I wonder how many piobaireachd players actually use Binneas. I have started to warm to it and now kind of like it. I know that the usual route to learning a new tune is to have a teacher slog through the tune with a student at first using P/S books or Kilberry, yawn. What happens when your teacher passes on. I have had three teachers just up and die on me, the selfish brutes. So now I have to go it on my own. Yes I use Donald MacLeod's remarkable tutor CDs as well as the two Bobs and Dugald MacNeill's wonderful Site Readable Ceol Mor as well as Archie Cairn's great piobaireachd tutorials as well as the great stuff on the P/S web site to have a go at a new tune, but I thought just perhaps Binneas might be of some help and it is. Who else uses Binneas
__________________
Ron Teague

The Cheesy Piobaireachd Player
Ron Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-14-2018, 11:45 AM   #2
David
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Haifa, ISRAEL
Posts: 4,328
Default Re: How many actually use Binneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Teague View Post
Mr. Grumpo, me, drug out his copy of Binneas. Why? I was bored and was woosy after being jet-lagged after a trip to Provence. I got to thinking, always a dangerous thing, about Binneas. I wonder how many piobaireachd players actually use Binneas. I have started to warm to it and now kind of like it. I know that the usual route to learning a new tune is to have a teacher slog through the tune with a student at first using P/S books or Kilberry, yawn. What happens when your teacher passes on. I have had three teachers just up and die on me, the selfish brutes. So now I have to go it on my own. Yes I use Donald MacLeod's remarkable tutor CDs as well as the two Bobs and Dugald MacNeill's wonderful Site Readable Ceol Mor as well as Archie Cairn's great piobaireachd tutorials as well as the great stuff on the P/S web site to have a go at a new tune, but I thought just perhaps Binneas might be of some help and it is. Who else uses Binneas
I do, but I haven't competed in over 35 years, so, I am untested with Binneas settings. I have no fondness for the tropical fruit colours, or the absconded staff. I do very much like the good show at accurate notation. I have been known to photocopy a tune to render a black & white version. Binneas is a nice link to the past, and maybe a flavour of Calum Piobair.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:48 AM   #3
Chris Knife
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Nobody from Nowhere
Posts: 269
Default Re: How many actually use Binneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Teague View Post
Mr. Grumpo, me, drug out his copy of Binneas. Why? I was bored and was woosy after being jet-lagged after a trip to Provence. I got to thinking, always a dangerous thing, about Binneas. I wonder how many piobaireachd players actually use Binneas. I have started to warm to it and now kind of like it. I know that the usual route to learning a new tune is to have a teacher slog through the tune with a student at first using P/S books or Kilberry, yawn. What happens when your teacher passes on. I have had three teachers just up and die on me, the selfish brutes. So now I have to go it on my own. Yes I use Donald MacLeod's remarkable tutor CDs as well as the two Bobs and Dugald MacNeill's wonderful Site Readable Ceol Mor as well as Archie Cairn's great piobaireachd tutorials as well as the great stuff on the P/S web site to have a go at a new tune, but I thought just perhaps Binneas might be of some help and it is. Who else uses Binneas
I refer to Binneas when learning a tune I don't know--as well as Jimmy McIntosh's Ceol Mor, Gen. Thomas' Ceol Mor, sometime David Glen's collection and Angus MacKay's published collection. The timing of bits or settings are different in cases from the PS or Kilberry, and they make sense to my poor understanding of piobaireachd but I enjoy them. I'm currently not competing.
__________________
Chris Knife
Chris Knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:21 AM   #4
Rooklidge
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: CA
Posts: 1,463
Default Re: How many actually use Binneas

What I've learned from airing MacPherson recordings on my radio show is that he didn't always follow Binneas either. Made me realize, at my advancing age of greyness, what great fun it is to read all the sources you can get your eyes on and eventually interpret it the way it feels good to you. I only compete in G3 occasionally now, and have had good and bad comments from judges about my interpretation, but I always keep in mind it's for my own love of the music that I play. Competing just gives me a platform to present music that interests me.
Rooklidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:03 PM   #5
LJ Neville
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: NJ
Posts: 300
Default Re: How many actually use Binneas

Ron, I too use Binneas on occasion. Considering that you are teacher-less allow me to recommend Jimmy McIntosh's fine book Ceol Mor for the Great Highland Bagpipe, presented in the Balmoral tradition (as long as you are into the Balmoral School (aka after John MacDonald via Malcolm MacPherson) mode of expression). The unique way it is notated, in conjunction with the accompanying notes on each tune, does a lot in the way of providing the expression that one might not get from other printed sources. There are also many great photographs and bits of history and anecdotes. Well worth purchasing.
__________________
Laura J. Neville, creator of The Inverness Poncho - raingear that fits in your sporran!
The Airy Glengarry (TM) - the world's first and only breathable mesh glengarry!

Available for sale here: https://www.freewebstore.org/rancoca...-pipe-band-llc
LJ Neville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:22 AM   #6
Adam Sanderson
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Milngavie, East Dunbartonshire, Scotland
Posts: 7,815
Default Re: How many actually use Binneas

Bfore the days of the internet, the Donald MacLeod CDs, the Bobs of Balmoral CDs, downloads from Roddy MacLeod, Jim McGillivray, Jack Lee, etc, Binneas was invaluable to me.

I still think it's a great attempt at notating ceol mor, and superior to the Piob Soc books for clarity. The doing away with bars and time signatures and concentrating on phrasing makes sense to me.

However, IMHO, you still can't beat singing to get the tune to someone.
__________________
Scottish Pipers' Association FB page Please click and "like". Thanks
Callander Pipe Band FB page Please click and "like". Thanks
Scottish Pipers' Association website
Adam Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:03 AM   #7
Mainebagpipes
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Maine
Posts: 48
Default Re: How many actually use Binneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ Neville View Post
Ron, I too use Binneas on occasion. Considering that you are teacher-less allow me to recommend Jimmy McIntosh's fine book Ceol Mor for the Great Highland Bagpipe, presented in the Balmoral tradition (as long as you are into the Balmoral School (aka after John MacDonald via Malcolm MacPherson) mode of expression).
Good advice. I don't use Binneas a lot, but I do grab it when I'm just starting to learn a new tune - mostly for the tune notes and phrasing while playing the Kilberry or Piob. Society settings.
Mainebagpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:41 PM   #8
RichmondPiper
Forum Silver Medal
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Richmond, Surrey, England
Posts: 313
Default Re: How many actually use Binneas

Bob Brown recommended them many years ago when I attended a residential workshop with him. He didn't play everything the way it is written there (neither do old Macpherson recordings as someone else has already noted), but felt that the expression was well indicated by the use of phrases, absence of bars, time signatures etc. I have used them ever since. Personally, I find the 3 line stave and the many colours unappealing but really like the setout in phrases and the simple indication of note lengths.

A callow youth in those days, I arrived at the workshop with a brand new Kilberry Book. He sniffed and said "You'd be better off with the Sunday Post under your arm". Not everyone would agree, of course.
RichmondPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:25 PM   #9
salmunmousavi
Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: California
Posts: 53
Default Re: How many actually use Binneas

I use the Kilberry book because I like the 5 line Stave as opposed to the 3 line in Binneas, but I definitely consult Binneas for timings of notes and phrases. I like thinking that that book has the tunes closest to how the MacCrimmon’s played. There’s something very cool about that!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
salmunmousavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:00 AM   #10
Robin73
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Devon
Posts: 78
Default Re: How many actually use Binneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooklidge View Post
... Made me realize, at my advancing age of greyness, what great fun it is to read all the sources you can get your eyes on and eventually interpret it the way it feels good to you. I only compete in G3 occasionally now, and have had good and bad comments from judges about my interpretation, but I always keep in mind it's for my own love of the music that I play. Competing just gives me a platform to present music that interests me.
This is exactly how I feel about the whole business, although I'm at the the other end and have not started to compete yet. I imagine it's going to be an interesting journey...

Thanks for sharing.
Robin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Silver Sponsor

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:58 AM.