Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-11-2019, 11:27 AM   #1
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Teachers and diaphragm vibrato

A great example here of what I'm talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGCsqdmHSCc

I do this as well, unconsciously, and so do a number of very good players I've listened to over the years.

Where did we all pick it up from? And why?
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-11-2019, 11:32 AM   #2
BaggyMcPipes
Forum Regular

Default Re: Teachers and diaphragm vibrato

An uneducated guess: playing chanter is similar, sort of... in, "feel," anyway... to singing and vibrato when singing or playing practice chanter might make us feel a little more secure about tuning? If we're going for 480hrz but doubt whether we can hold it perfectly steady, wavering between 477 and 483 feels safe, maybe?

Or maybe just because we're fancy creatures, by nature, and the vibrato feels fancy?

Or maybe boredom? Maybe we get a bit bored with just blowing and look for ways to shake it up?
BaggyMcPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:50 AM   #3
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Maybe because it makes the practice chanter sound more like a musical instrument? ( and less like an abused waterfowl?)
Old 02-11-2019, 03:06 PM   #4
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
Where did we all pick it up from? And why?
Good question. No one ‘taught it’ to me ,..yet, I’ve always..while circular breathing and applying good pressure to the reed without it cutting out.
It seems so natural...

Last edited by Andrew Lenz; 02-12-2019 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Fixed quote syntax.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:30 PM   #5
Kevin
Forum Clasp

I agree that that sounds great but do we know that Neil was actually doing that intentionally? I only hear it on some notes, which may be intentional but also has me wondering if what we are hearing is some kind of beating or aliasing caused by the frequency of the recording device

If it is intentional diaphragm vibrato and being primarily a bellows-type myself, I am now officially jealous.

Best regards,
Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:54 PM   #6
Piping Potential
Forum Member

Vibrato is ingrained in our musical culture. Listen to any professional singer or solo instrumentalist and you hear it. It adds life and richness to the tone. So it may come automatically from us being used to hearing it everywhere. I developed vibrato when I started playing trumpet, trying to emulate the professional trumpeters I'd hear. When I've heard some of the old recordings of cantaireachd they've sung it with vibrato. But also maybe it's instinctual from humans having done it for thousands of years.
Piping Potential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:37 AM   #7
gatormac
Holy smoking keyboard!

Just a thought- if vibrato works so well on the PC, and with other instruments as mentioned, would it not work on the pipes? The biggest problem I see on the pipes is that whenever I hear anyone do it, it is over the top- too pronounced. So most of us would immediately say it doesn't suit the instrument. But is that inherent in the instrument and therefore why it is not part of the musical tradition, or is it because very few know how to do it well? The key with vibrato is tasteful subtlety IMHO. Of course on the bagpipes it is a matter of finger movement vs. diaphragm, just as it is with the uilleann pipes or the guitar- instruments where vibrato is common and effective.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:42 AM   #8
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

Bear in mind that the modern highland pipe chanter and reed have evolved considerably over the last century or so. We tend to play a lot sharper, significantly louder, and with the crystalline clarity of a plastic chanter. These factors make vibrato on the GHB sound considerably different than it does on, say, a border pipe chanter. To my ear, it's less attractive (although it can still be used with subtlety, to good effect). If you're a folk player who wants to use a lot of vibrato, I'd certainly suggest playing an easier, quieter reed, at 466, in a wooden chanter. It's a very different effect.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:19 PM   #9
Andrew Lenz

Jimmy McColl is known for playing vibrato. I was able to hear him in person doing it and it was pretty neat. (It might have been in my living room, but I can't recall!) I believe I was told that he used vibrato when he won his Gold Medal in the 1950s playing The Kings Taxes, though I can't confirm that 100%.

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:50 AM   #10
Piping Potential
Forum Member

Can someone explain how vibrato is produced on the bagpipe? I know it can't be from the breath.
Piping Potential is offline   Reply With Quote