Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Do It Yourself (DIY)
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Do It Yourself (DIY) Making and repairing of instruments, accessories, and more.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-02-2017, 08:40 AM   #1
tenthpiper
Forum Silver Medal

Default Removing Ivory bushes and caps

How best to do this without damaging the Ivory? From a turn of the century set of henderson reel pipes. I want to replace them with boxwood .thanks
Old 09-02-2017, 08:48 AM   #2
BaggyMcPipes
Forum Regular

Default Re: Removing Ivory bushes and caps

The only way I've ever got any off my pipes, is by accident... Though I'm sure there's a good way to do it...
BaggyMcPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:17 AM   #3
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Some pros at one of the older large pipe makers told me immerse the ivory part in very very hot water ....maybe a slight rolling boil.....until the old time adhesive loosens up. Put the item in a heavy duty plastic bag before immersing...only immerse the ivory....might need to use e.g. wire coat hanger to rig a gizmo to suspend it in position. It might take a long while.

What will you do with the parts?...relegate them out of sight to a dark dusty shelf in a box? Shame.

Personally I'd not chance it and leave them alone ....and get another set with eco friendly material.
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:13 PM   #4
tenthpiper
Forum Silver Medal

Yes that's what I'd heard, so it's not the water? Rather the temp? I.e. The plastic bag thing.
Yes it's rather a frightening idea!!
Yes put the Ivory on a shelf somewhere!
Thing is I've no cert and I travel a lot. No one ever says anything..... but it's a matter of concern. They are stamped with a date on the macrae hempless tuning pins and obviously genuine , though in fact they are an older set of hendersons that were refitted 1911 .
On my other set of these I had, the Ivory just turned off on 2 of the rings, as the glue had aged or dried or something , but these ones are solid.
Thing is these are my pipes pointless getting or making another set because then these would just sit on the shelf!!
I guess the safest thing is to arrange a cert somehow. Hmm
Any other tricks?
Old 09-02-2017, 03:39 PM   #5
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthpiper View Post

Any other tricks?

Paint them to look like boxwood. No joke.

In a decade or so after 'they' come to heir senses and stop bothering us about antique instruments...you can remove the painted finish
Old 09-02-2017, 05:52 PM   #6
tenthpiper
Forum Silver Medal

Nice idea but they go through the X ray machine.........I've decided the best thing to do is get a cert and I've started making enquiries. It should be failrly straight forwards( he says optimistically) thanks anyhow
Old 09-02-2017, 06:37 PM   #7
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthpiper View Post

It should be failrly straight forward.....

Btw ...do you the original purchaser sales receipt to bolster your quest?

There is ,I believe, the 50% rule...some gibberish about the quantity of ivory being less than the ' other' content....good luck getting a comfortable answer that a border agent
understands if you travel cross-border.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:21 AM   #8
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

The glue used for these is almost certainly hide glue, and it softens with heat - and it doesn't need to boil, about 60C if I remember rightly.

As for ivory, I'm pretty unsentimental about it, personally. It looks pretty but has no practical function that boxwood or plastic cannot duplicate. I have one chanter with ivory on it and when the day comes I need to take it abroad the ivory will be getting knocked off without a second thought.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:46 AM   #9
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Yes..hide glue...tho I've removed some ferrules that took hours suspended in the hot ...slight rolling...water before it softened . Sometimes there was also a bit of black pitch.