Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Competing Pipers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competing Pipers Questions, issues, or discussions specifically related to Piping and Pipers competition.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-20-2017, 05:03 PM   #1
3D Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Balmoral not acceptable?

I was chatting with a friend who competed recently and was docked for wearing a balmoral. The judge said it was not 'highland attire' and that he should have had on a glen.

-Matthew
3D Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-20-2017, 05:28 PM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Balmoral not acceptable?

Were they sanctioned games? If yes,..there in no space on the scoresheet to give or take credit for what a contestant is wearing.....and obviously...unless the balmoral was actually a French beret or similar...a balmoral bonnet is about as Highland as one can get, and historically precedes a glengarry.

I hope you will follow up with more details on this and who was the adjudicator....esp if the result meant your friend was kept out of the winners circle. I'd agree if not in Highland dress there is basis to DQ.

Last edited by Andrew Lenz; 08-21-2017 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Removed completely unnecessary block quote of entire first post.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 11:07 PM   #3
Rooklidge
Holy smoking keyboard!

Who is the judge and why is he so stupid?
Rooklidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:05 AM   #4
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

If this was a sanctioned competition, the judge should be reported. Policing dress is not their job. Quite apart from them being utterly wrong.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:02 AM   #5
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

For my first competition as a kid, the judge was particularly grumpy, and yelled at me (literally) for not having a hat (I'd lost my glen the day before, so I was forced to play without a hat at all). I suppose I should be happy not to have been disqualified, allowing me to play anyways, though frankly, I didn't exactly enjoy it.

I didn't do well overall, though I'm pretty sure that my performance was the reason for my poor placing, rather than his issues with my attire. And his remarks about playing sans-glen seemed to remain verbal only, with the score sheet restricted to rather discouraging remarks on my playing.

Years later, I've learned that particular judge seemed to like presenting an apparently false facade of being grumpy and scary. People who knew him well have told me such. Silly, in my opinion, but whatever.

I'm shocked that you would apparently be docked in scoring (especially wearing a balmoral), though when you come down to it, there may well be judges out there who will harbor not-so-nice thoughts in their head when they're in the process of assessing first place over second, and etc.
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:16 AM   #6
rpeitzsch
Holy smoking keyboard!

Was it a competition sanctioned by the EUSPBA? IF so, EUSPBA rules clearly and specifically state on page 19 that "male competitors must wear a hat", but there's no description of said hat.
http://euspba.org/wp-content/uploads...inal2A-jph.pdf

Last edited by rpeitzsch; 08-21-2017 at 10:18 AM.
rpeitzsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:43 AM   #7
Jared Loch
Forum Member

Following this subject, as I am currently wearing a Balmoral with my piping uniform. I'd like to get a clear picture of the whole story.
Jared Loch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:01 PM   #8
3D Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I'll email the fellow and ask if he can give more details..
I would think a balmoral would be more traditional than a glen..

-Matthew
Old 08-23-2017, 09:18 AM   #9
3D Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I heard back from the fellow, and he said it was in Charleston NC a few years ago.. The judge he mentioned is active on this forum, so I think I'll let him post the name if he wants to.

-Matthew
Old 08-23-2017, 12:15 PM   #10
LJ Neville
Forum Regular

I've seen Nick Hudson (Professional piper in the EUSPBA) regularly wear a Balmoral in EUSPBA events. No problems. The rules don't specify what kind of bonnet to wear, so...?

Available for sale here: https://www.freewebstore.org/rancoca...-pipe-band-llc
LJ Neville is offline   Reply With Quote