Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Piobaireachd
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Piobaireachd For all things related to Piobaireachd ...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-28-2019, 01:02 PM   #1
Joseph Diodato
Forum Member

Default PS Book History

Hi all,

I've been reading up on the Piobaireachd Society books (which to my understanding constitutes the current 'cannon' of piob music along with Kilberry's).

Looking through the various volumes, I wonder if there are any historical demarcations between certain volumes in the set (i.e. volumes X - Y being collected from or gathered from a particular source) or published during a certain time period.

Additionally, I wonder if there are any of the PS books are widely considered to be traditional starting points for someone new to to the music? I currently plan on obtaining both Kilberry's and the PS books, the timing of which being mostly dependent on my humble earnings as a grad student.

Cheers,
Joe

My Piping Blog- A student's musings on learning the Great Highland Bagpipe.
Joseph Diodato is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-28-2019, 05:01 PM   #2
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: PS Book History

Quite a few of them do have "themes" of some kind, concentrating on a particular manuscript or whatever.

Book seven is a common first purchase, but to be honest, I'd just try and pick out a tune you'd like to learn, start with that one, and buy another book every month or two.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 04:04 PM   #3
Big Tone
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Personally I'd say get Kilberry first. It has 100 odd tunes for a very reasonable price. There's a good mix of different levels of tunes.

Think about joining the Piobaireachd Society as well. Off the top of my head it costs 5GBP for a year student's membership. The tunes from the first three books books are available to download for members, no tune notes with them which might be a downside depending on the tune. You can also get digital copies of the books in their shop for 100GBP for all the books or 50 for either half of them. Good if you're on a budget.
Big Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:00 AM   #4
Zummerhaus
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Consider looking at Ceol Sean for a full piobaireachd collection - I settled on the 7 Glen books which are quite well regarded by the boy who did the set tunes series on Pipes&Drums, Donaldson? You can buy the CD or download them tune at a time - which I did.

Kilberry is the cheap option - John MacDonald or one of the Bob's weren't a fan. If you're just looking for one or two tunes check out altpibroch for different settings and their historical notes and notes on stylistic differences.
Zummerhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:52 AM   #5
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

William Donaldson, in his book The Highland Pipe and Scottish Society, writes about the history of the PS books.

In addition to the more popular books, one might consider Jimmy McIntosh's Ceol Mor for the Great Highland Bagpipe. 72 tunes "as taught by P/M John MacDonald, MBE, P/M R.U. Brown, MBE, and P/M R.B Nicol."

http://jimmymcintoshpiobaireachd.com/
Old 07-05-2019, 11:56 PM   #6
Joseph Diodato
Forum Member

Thank you all for the fantastic perspectives!

Ceol Sean is indeed a fantastic resource -- one that I suspect I'm hardly scratching the surface of. I made a note to myself to keep an eye out for the Donaldson book that Bob mentioned.

I'll start with the Kilberry book as suggested, and I certainly expect to acquire the various PS volumes over the course of my piping career.

My Piping Blog- A student's musings on learning the Great Highland Bagpipe.
Joseph Diodato is offline   Reply With Quote