Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Competing Pipers
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competing Pipers Questions, issues, or discussions specifically related to Piping and Pipers competition.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-10-2020, 02:38 PM   #21
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Solo chanter

The main thing, I think, is knowing your instrument inside out and upside down. There are lots of decent chanters out there, and I think if any really held a real edge everyone would be using it. That has been true in the past, but not nowadays.

Having played the MC^2 for quite a few years now, I feel I know it well, and I like how it behaves, but I played that Shepherd for long enough and I'd have no problems going back to it.

But you're quite right, for most of us the big improvement is an instrument that starts,. stays and finishes in tune.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-10-2020, 04:23 PM   #22
olypiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac an t-Sealgair View Post

Am I missing something? Some performance increase that another brand of chanter will give? What sort of percentage performance enhancement would I realistically have chopping and changing? 0.05%? Is it really the difference between the W and best of the rest? Especially at the level 99%of us play at.
Not every chanter is easy to reed, not every player blows the same, not everyone's hands fit every chanter. Some makers adjust the spacing that some players find easier to do, say, low hand embellishments on. Finding something that is pleasing to your ear, and inspires confidence in your playing is especially helpful to the average player. Not everyone can coax the best out of the vast majority of chanters like a more experienced and higher graded piper can. Not every chanter pitches where you want it to. There are many reasons to look at other chanters.

Not everyone is fortunate enough to get a great chanter that suits them to a tee early on.

To be sure, there is a bit of the latest greatest syndrome going on, and there are a lot more choices out there now than there were even 20 years ago. And there is certainly no harm in supporting your local pipemaker by buying another chanter.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:04 PM   #23
Stiubhard
Forum Member

Agree with these sentiments, for sure. I think it's all just personal preference. "Performance" is very much a subjective thing for pipe chanters, and of course we all know it's more about who's filling the bag than anything else!

For me, I like to try a new chanter once in a while. I love tinkering with sound, trying new things to "chase the ideal sound" (that is, my ideal sound, which tends to change over time). Tweaking the pitch a bit, trying a new chanter/reed combo etc.

I was playing an older ABW MacCallum chanter for a while, enjoyed it, was getting very good sound out of it, but wanted to work with something new, so I went to the Naill. Very comfortable, took me a bit longer to optimize the sound though. Now I'm considering mixing it up with a Kyo. That said, I tend to keep most of my old chanters, so I can always revisit them to fiddle around with.
Stiubhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:43 PM   #24
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

I swap around among my Mcc2, Naill,and Shepherd Mk3 chanters.

Each is great...fantastic,.. when properly set up and played in.

It always comes down to the reed, fine tuning and ambient.

Itís the same for grade 5/4 solos or the Northern Meeting elite.

The constant for me is my drones and the drone reeds settled on for a good while.
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:49 AM   #25
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
I think if any really held a real edge everyone would be using it. That has been true in the past, but not nowadays.

But you're quite right, for most of us the big improvement is an instrument that starts,. stays and finishes in tune.
Exactly my thoughts. Chanters, and reeds nowadays are fantastic. No massive box of reeds rifling through for hours (it was fun though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by olypiper View Post
Not every chanter is easy to reed, not every player blows the same, not everyone's hands fit every chanter. Some makers adjust the spacing that some players find easier to do, say, low hand embellishments on. Finding something that is pleasing to your ear, and inspires confidence in your playing is especially helpful to the average player. Not everyone can coax the best out of the vast majority of chanters like a more experienced and higher graded piper can. Not every chanter pitches where you want it to. There are many reasons to look at other chanters.

To be sure, there is a bit of the latest greatest syndrome going on
Yeah, that's a fair point on comfort. But otherwise I'm personally struggling for benefits

And I completely agree, the latest greatest syndrome is well established. All it is good for, is releaving folk of money, but, I suppose may produce a placebo effect instead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
The constant for me is my drones and the drone reeds settled on for a good while.
Yes, sir. Drones settled and stable.

So if we say you get a 0.05% performance boost from changing chanter (maybe 1% for comfort), how many % for good steady blowing? Or how many percent for well structured practice focusing on solid technique?

There is far more improvement to be had from within without spending ££££$$$ on more stuff.
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:55 AM   #26
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by connpiper View Post
Competing pipers, What chanters are you competing with?
I'm playing McC2 and G1 Platinum

I need a new ABW and am between;
Gandy
Hardie Infinity
Colin Kyo
Was also looking at the McCallum Ceol.
Been reading the Gandy is made by, Kyo modeled by McCallum.
Thanks for you time and input.
So, I suppose reflecting now, what is the problem (perceived or otherwise) with the McC2 chanter? Why the desire to change?

Any of the above will be fantastic.
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote