Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Adult Pipers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Adult Pipers Related to Adult piping or pipers, this is the place.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-02-2019, 11:55 PM   #21
Garry
Forum Member

Default Re: Peaks and valleys of the learning process

All this talk about sweet G spot and peaks and valleys had my mind wandering along the wrong path. However once you reach a certain age, the greatest reward from your bagpiping comes when you are told at a relevant ceremony (eg a funeral) that your lament brought goosebumps and people you don't know want to have their picture taken with you. Makes all that practice worthwhile! Keep at it.
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-05-2019, 06:58 PM   #22
Chris C.
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Peaks and valleys of the learning process

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquintingPatrick View Post
One thing that guides me, is identifying what it is that I am doing that leads to actual, tangible improvements. Repetitions in themselves do not necessarily do that. The trick is finding out what kind of repetitions - repetitions with a metronome? repetitions while playing along with a recording of a good player slowed down?
I've found that for fingering issues, more time with the PC seems to help, where I can slow down the movements, work on phrases, etc.

It also helps if you like the sound of the PC you're playing...

When on the pipes themselves, I concentrate less on the fingering and more on the overall sound, getting into the tune.
Chris C. is offline   Reply With Quote