Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-20-2017, 07:50 PM   #1
stackmayer
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Idlewild Jig or The Cricket's March Over the Salt Box

This jig goes by two names, the former allegedly being the older name. I've found a few nice recordings of it on mandolin and fiddle, but I can't find any arrangement for the pipes.

Are any of you familiar with this tune? The band Killarny has a nice slow version of it that goes into The Silver Spear: https://youtu.be/VrBkLcUrDNk

From ibiblio.org:

IDLEWILD JIG. AKA and see “Cricket’s March Over the Saltbox.” American, Irish (?); Jig. USA, New England. D Major (‘A’ part) & B Minor (‘B’ part). Standard tuning. AB (Cole, Ryan): AABB (S. Johnson): AABB’ (Songer). Susan Songer (Portland Collection) notes that Larry Nugent recorded it on his first album, having learned the tune from an elderly fiddler named Willie Johnston who lived near his parents’ home in Lack, County Fermanagh. Johnston maintained it was a ‘fairy tune’ he had learned one lonely night while walking home. Cole (1000 Fiddle Tunes), 1940; pg. 79. S. Johnson (The Kitchen Musician No. 6: Jigs), 1982 (revised 1989, 2001); pg. 13. McQuaid (The Irish DADGAD Guitar Book). Ryan’s Mammoth Collection, 1883. Songer (Portland Collection), 1997; pg. 106. Sage Arts 1101, Erin Shrader & Edith Farrar - “Enrichez Vous” (1991). Larry Nugent.
X:1
T:Idlewild
M:6/8
L:1/8
R:Jig
S:Ryan’s Mammoth Collection (1883)
Z:AK/Fiddler’s Companion
K: D
D2D FED|F2A d2A|Bcd A2F|G2F E2D|D2D FED|
F2A d2A|Bcd A2F|EFE D3||B2F F=F^F|d2B BAB|
F2B BAB|b2f fef|g2e f2d|e2c d2A|Bcd A2F|E2D D3||
stackmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-21-2017, 06:25 AM   #2
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Idlewild Jig or The Cricket's March Over the Salt Box

Teach a man how to fish moment:

1. Grab that ABC code (starting with X:1) and paste it into this program or this website and transpose up 7 keys to A major using their built-in transposing functionalities.

2. Then arrange the tune to your liking (there are several notes above the highland bagpipe scale in the 2nd part ending you'll have to rearrange); additionally pretend all resulting G# are really G naturals* (which turns the tune into the key of D or A mixolydian). Also change the key (K:A) to (K:Hp) to adopt bagpipe notation conventions. Add gracenotes by encapsulating the notes you want in curly brackets. High G gracenote = {g}, taorluath = {GdGe}, etc. The highland bagpipe scale is GABcdefga (case sensitive).

Ta da! Your own bagpipe version.

*I just know someone is going to suggest you crossfinger high G#, as an exercise in pedantry, even though it only appears as a passing note in the entire tune. To save them the trouble, variations on the fingering for this note include:

O XXO XXXO

X OXX XXXO

X OXX XOOX, or apparently, whatever works. If you keep the G#, you might continue the pedantry by modifying the key field to K:Hp ^g

Last edited by Patrick McLaurin; 09-21-2017 at 06:37 AM.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:44 AM   #3
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Strange the spelling "Idlewild".

I just Googled it and it seems to be pretty rare- I would have thought it to be a made-up world for the amusement park in Pennsylvania (idle+wild) except there's an Idlewild North Carolina.

Of course we have plenty of misspelt place-names here in the USA, places founded and named by semi-literate immigrants.

Anyhow I do wonder why it's not spelled Idyllwild.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:54 AM   #4
stackmayer
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
Teach a man how to fish moment:

1. Grab that ABC code (starting with X:1) and paste it into this program or this website and transpose up 7 keys to A major using their built-in transposing functionalities.

2. Then arrange the tune to your liking (there are several notes above the highland bagpipe scale in the 2nd part ending you'll have to rearrange); additionally pretend all resulting G# are really G naturals* (which turns the tune into the key of D or A mixolydian). Also change the key (K:A) to (K:Hp) to adopt bagpipe notation conventions. Add gracenotes by encapsulating the notes you want in curly brackets. High G gracenote = {g}, taorluath = {GdGe}, etc. The highland bagpipe scale is GABcdefga (case sensitive).

Ta da! Your own bagpipe version.

*I just know someone is going to suggest you crossfinger high G#, as an exercise in pedantry, even though it only appears as a passing note in the entire tune. To save them the trouble, variations on the fingering for this note include:

O XXO XXXO

X OXX XXXO

X OXX XOOX, or apparently, whatever works. If you keep the G#, you might continue the pedantry by modifying the key field to K:Hp ^g
I had no idea about any of this! This is great, thank you a ton!
stackmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 03:32 PM   #5
LloydB
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
Strange the spelling "Idlewild".

I just Googled it and it seems to be pretty rare- I would have thought it to be a made-up world for the amusement park in Pennsylvania (idle+wild) except there's an Idlewild North Carolina.

Of course we have plenty of misspelt place-names here in the USA, places founded and named by semi-literate immigrants.

Anyhow I do wonder why it's not spelled Idyllwild.
FWIW:
"John F. Kennedy International Airport was originally Idlewild Airport (IATA: IDL, ICAO: KIDL, FAA LID: IDL) after the Idlewild Beach Golf Course that it displaced. It was built to relieve LaGuardia Airport, which was overcrowded soon after opening in 1939." Wikipedia