Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-07-2017, 10:34 AM   #1
cannont
Forum Member

Default Simplified cabar feidh

I'm looking for a simplified cabar feidh score for a civilian band to play. A gracenote version without all the doubling and throws.

I realize this is not optimal and I could take the standard score and indicate changes of doublings and throws as gracenotes, but it would sure be nice to have sheets that just show only gracenotes for ease of reading.

My motivation for this is to make it sound cleaner as a group and less muddy with the embellishments. Yes, they could work more on technique, but they are a low key civilian group and I'd rather they sound good with a simple version than messy with the original.

Thanks, Todd
cannont is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-07-2017, 10:53 AM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: simplified cabar feidh

..sounds like the tune is way above grade for the group.

Why not find a tune that all can play as composed....instead of all sinking to the level of the lowest player.

....And those that cannae’ have the option to do so.....or wither on the vine.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 11:06 AM   #3
BaggyMcPipes
Forum Regular

That's a good tune. Great idea. I'll keep an eye-out.
BaggyMcPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 11:57 AM   #4
cannont
Forum Member

Thanks Baggy
Old 10-07-2017, 08:47 PM   #5
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Simplified cabar feidh

Are you talking march, strathspey, or reel version of Cabar Feidh?

The march version isn't too tricky. However, I personally feel that it sounds wrong as a march.

Charlie
Old 10-08-2017, 10:54 AM   #6
ironron
Forum Member

cabar feidh is a simple tune .. If they cant play a throw on the D or doublings they .shouldn't be playing at all,,
ironron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:23 AM   #7
cannont
Forum Member

the march version of cabar feidh

I realize it is simple, but I'm assisting the group in having a cleaner sound. Have players that play a more open throw with others playing a much tighter throw, the same for doublings. Some are older beginners trying to make fingers do things they don't want to, others are younger or more experienced. Kind of gives a bit of a shotgun effect in the circle hearing the different paces of throws and doublings.

I know this is all preference to the groups and individuals the world over. For this group, they'd rather have it sound clean and clear. GDE gracenotes it is, I have no issue with it and let's be honest unless they were competing (which they're not) it is for the enjoyment of the listener to appreciate a good sounding tune that sounds clean, that is their preference.

I'd rather not debate grade abilities for the tune (their grade is... just want to play grade), just asking if a score has been written with simple GDE gracenotes.

Thanks Todd
Old 10-24-2017, 07:28 PM   #8
d303burrous
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Todd:
Why not get some bagpipe music writing software? It's not very expensive and exists for pot PCs and Apple. Then you can edit your music however you desire. I use my software a lot and change the music to suit myself.

Regards.
d303burrous@msn.com
d303burrous is offline   Reply With Quote