Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-19-2017, 01:13 PM   #1
Robin73
Forum Member

Default Minor Key Breton Tunes - Drone Note

Hi there,

I'm posting a similar post here to one in the "traditions" group in case more people see it.

I'm looking for confirmation that playing B minor tunes over an A drone is considered acceptable to the "Breton Ear." (or C minor tunes over a Bb drone if we're talking "concert pitch.")

For example a tune like this, played over a Drone on A:

I know there are some Scottish tunes which do this (The Mist Covered Mountain for example), and to my ears it sounds great - the A and B notes form a consonance once I've got used to it.

Much Bagad music I've heard has minor key melodies playing over the tonic, either by using a cross-fingering or tuning up the drones.

However, I've read on this forum that the B minor tune over a drone on A approach is common, but I've not heard or seen it in practice. Has anyone got any links they could share, or any "inside knowledge" about this from the Breton piping tradition please?
Robin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-19-2017, 01:58 PM   #2
BaggyMcPipes
Forum Regular

Default Re: Minor Key Breton Tunes - Drone Note

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin73 View Post
"inside knowledge" about this from the Breton piping tradition please?
I haven't got any links and I don't think I could be called an insider- but it sounds fine to my ear. I've played tunes like this in band competitions and never encountered any push-back from judges. Plus, Gordon Duncan did it- that makes it ok, even if it isn't otherwise!
BaggyMcPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:38 PM   #3
Robin73
Forum Member

Default Re: Minor Key Breton Tunes - Drone Note

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaggyMcPipes View Post
I've played tunes like this in band competitions and never encountered any push-back from judges. Plus, Gordon Duncan did it...
Interesting - did you play Breton tunes in a Scottish style band or was it a Breton band (or something else?)

Also do you know where I can hear recordings Gordon Duncan doing this kind of thing? (A particular CD for example?)
Robin73 is offline   Reply With Quote