Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-23-2015, 03:20 PM   #11
David Murry
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Kyo Drones

Nick you have a link?
Old 04-24-2015, 01:44 AM   #12
NickTaitz
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Murry View Post
Nick you have a link?
Hi David, sorry, I don't - Erik Leiken is on facebook, I bet he would send it to you if you asked, he is a first class piper.
NickTaitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:50 AM   #13
NickTaitz
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTaitz View Post
Hi David, sorry, I don't - Erik Leiken is on facebook, I bet he would send it to you if you asked, he is a first class piper.

Hi David - Patrick McLaurin has some cool Kyo drone clips on his excellent blog. Kyo drones are really good stuff, really top drawer. as robert reid would have said, they're "gilbert and sullivan stuff"...
NickTaitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:36 AM   #14
David Murry
Holy smoking keyboard!

Patrick's site....? what is that?

Kidding... I am playing the pipes he has recorded there actually( well not Bryan's but one of the sets). I love the tone. Very unique timber to me.

I was looking to get some more feedback. It occurred to me not long ago that this site has an amazing posterity database inherent in it.. really amazing and I can read/see the change in ideas, philosophies and trends of the past 15 years.

Its pretty wild. I am trying to build a log wherever I have a lucid thought/question so that the newer pipers can have an easier time getting some answers than we did in the early days.

As Wulls tagline states " its not not knowing the answer, but knowing where to find the answer.." or something along those lines

Old 04-25-2015, 06:24 AM   #15
John McCain
Holy smoking keyboard!

It would be great if we could rent a set of pipes for a short time instead of making a "blind" purchase. For instance, I'm interested in the new McCallum produced MacRae copy, but likely won't buy a set unheard/unplayed.

There are lots of smaller makers this may benefit like the Kyo drones mentioned in this thread.

This is probably an unworkable idea, but it would be helpful to serial, easily tempted buyers.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:51 PM   #16
David Murry
Holy smoking keyboard!

Interesting thought.

I know Keith Jeffers did this when he first got started and it resulted in both Patrick and myself in purchasing a set each from him (amazing tone)

But Murray is quite an established maker already (and his metslwork is pretty amazing as well) and from what I understand he is swamped with work.

One of the things I will always prefer is the hand touch and the one-off of hand turned pipes.

The more I play these drones the more amazed I am at this sound. The best I can explain it is a vibrancy and buzz but without the sound being buzzy... I know it doesn't make sense. They are just alive. Tap the bass or tap the tenors and "the sound" is not there... but all three going creates this unified blended sound that I can't figure out where it's coming from except to say the sum is greater than the parts.

Lovely sound.

David NY