Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-10-2018, 09:15 AM   #1
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo
Default When The Battle's Over - 0600

How many of us will be among the 2500 or so playing "When The Battle's Over" tomorrow at 0600 to mark the centennial of The Armistice of 1918?
Where will you play?

For me, The Doughboy Monument in Quincy, MA, then later at my grandfather's grave in Mt Wollaston Cemetery. Joseph Milks was an artilleryman in WW1 and is buried there. I never knew him because he died when my mother was still a school girl.

It will be cold- they're predicting 29˚F with wind chill of 19˚F, but having committed to it, we'll see it through.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:45 AM   #2
Linz
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: When The Battle's Over-0600

I'll be playing on my front porch. I live in Oregon, but I'll be playing at 6 am Hawaii time. I have good neighbors, and I want them to stay that way...
Old 11-10-2018, 10:21 AM   #3
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

I'm playing at 1100, but I'm thinking of starting with Bloody Fields of Flanders.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:35 AM   #4
Steve Law
Forum Regular

I’m guessing all who play will be familiar with the Battle’s O’er event organised by Bruno Peek and widely publicised via College of Piping on Facebook etc, so I’ll just mention it for any not aware and move on... go look if you’re up for it, even at this late stage.

My band, City of Norwich PB (possibly because we’re only 20 miles from the organiser’s home) have the honour of being the first band to sign up all its playing pipers, so we have (I think) 15 souls out at various locations in the county of Norfolk and beyond.

Bruno’s website has a 90+ page document listing everyone who’s playing and where, albeit with loads of late entries there may be a few glitches with that. There are lots of related events too, from bell ringing, Town Criers, beacon lighting and more, up and down the UK.

I’m playing outside Norwich City Hall where the cenotaph to the Great War stands, along with my piper chum Denise and snare drummer Nigel - he’s professionally involved with all kinds of historical stuff and will be turning out in WW1 Seaforth Highlander uniform and playing a geniune 1914 rope tensioned side drum to accompany us for the brief tune.

D&I are in full dress and we all have a long day with two more full parades with the band in Thetford later in the morning and Wymondham in the afternoon. D then reverts to brass band and plays a forth gig in the evening so she will struggle to get up for work on Monday, methinks

Interested to hear how folks are planning to present.... we’re going to play BO once through at slow air tempo, straight into quick march time for a second time through, finishing with the last two bars back in slow time to end with a drum roll tailing away after we cut.

Given the venue, with a large City Hall building right behind us and the market square falling away in front and the 3 other side pretty well built up 3 floors+, and the forecast calm-ish conditions, we’re hoping to create a little atmosphere to remind anyone we may disturb that tomorrow’s small event is nothing but a token to remind of the sacrifices of those who were there 100 years ago.

Bless them All.

Last edited by Steve Law; 11-10-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Steve Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:38 AM   #5
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

I forgot to mention that 0600 is before dawn here this time of year.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:51 AM   #6
Steve Law
Forum Regular

Similar here.... still dark but if the sky’sclear we should see the beginning of the dawn....
Steve Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:04 PM   #7
classicbagpipes
Holy smoking keyboard!

I'm playing at my church's annual Rememberance Day service. I usually play flowers of the forest but talked them into When the battle's over, mentioning the worldwide push to use this tune.
classicbagpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 04:48 PM   #8
galbayman
Forum Clasp

0600 will be nautical twilight here on Galveston Bay, Texas. I'll be piping alone outside at our city's handsome Veteran's Memorial, a small waterside park on the main street of town, and a few hours later as part of a small memorial service at the same place. I haven't piped much in the last few years; preparing for this has let me know how much I've missed it.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:59 PM   #9
paul_111
Forum Member

We will be there!

Tunes of Glory Pipes and Drums

WWI Obelisk
North Side Park, Wheaton, IL

Forecast is 26F, but dry!
paul_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:19 PM   #10
salmunmousavi
Forum Member

I’ll be playing tomorrow at the park where I practice my pipes. I was supposed to play by the ocean, but the entire area is under forced evacuation due to the CA wildfires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
salmunmousavi is offline   Reply With Quote