Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-11-2018, 10:41 AM   #21
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo
Default Re: When The Battle's Over-0600

Played "When the Battle's Over" at 0600 at the Doughboy Statue and WW1 Monument in Quincy MA. My wife came with me, and two of my cousins joined us. There were a handful of Veterans and the City's Veterans' Affairs Officer there as well as a cameraman from the local access TV station. IT was below 30˚ F about a half-hour before dawn.
After the 0600 salute, my cousins and we went down the road about a mile to the cemetery where our grandparents' grave is so I could play "Going Home" over their grave. My grandfather, Joseph H Milks was an artilleryman. I never knew him as he died when my mother was still a child. The sun was just above the horizon by the time we got home.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:48 PM   #22
Linz
Holy smoking keyboard!

Played "Battles O'er" on my front porch at Noon. Figured it was 0600 somewhere... Soon as I cut off, I heard a rumble, and looked up. There was a flight of four Army Cobras flying overhead. It was awesome...
Old 11-11-2018, 02:44 PM   #23
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

I played in the U.S. ... at 6 AM... as a solo... beside
beside one of the Great Lakes.

"The Green Hills" followed by "When the Battle's
Over"... which was/is the set... in three of the four
bands in which I have played.

Last edited by Pip01; 11-11-2018 at 02:47 PM.
Pip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:34 AM   #24
Steve Law
Forum Regular

Have to confess disapointment at our 0600.... 3 of us, 2 pipers and a drummer, plus 2 unexpectedly from BBC Radio... a guy on a bicycle and another on a motorbike.

Sadly due to the city centre location, extended tuning wasnít possible and in the event my chanter was horribly flat, Iím embarrassed to say, which spoilt the fine playing of my companions.

Nonetheless, we did what we set out to do and BBC broadcast our efforts live and interviewed us afterwards....

Onward then to two other parades with the full band, by which time tuning was sorted and we participated in two very moving ceremonies, during the last of which a quartet of us played Flowers of the Forest while the wreath-laying went on.... many compliments on our performances from veterans and spectators, so Iím feeling a little better about it all now.

Itís 53 years since I played my first Remembrance Day and this was by far and away the most moving; maybe itís an age thing, but itís staggering to hear the estimates of total dead/MiA for WW1... between 19 and 23 million military and civilian combined, over the almost 5 years, they say.

If we learn nothing else, let us learn NOT to repeat that... thatís why we need to keep the flame burning, well-tuned or not.
Steve Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:38 AM   #25
Steve Law
Forum Regular

Pip.... we share the Green Hills/ Battleís Oíer, but add Lochanside to make a trio.

Over the years as work moved us around Iíve played with 5 bands and we all have that set in the bank... with harmonies theyíre simple stock tunes which should be in everyoneís repertoire, imho
Old 11-12-2018, 09:09 AM   #26
Tom MacKenzie
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Law View Post
it’s staggering to hear the estimates of total dead/MiA for WW1... between 19 and 23 million military and civilian combined, over the almost 5 years
Plus the Spanish Flu, which originated on the front in 1917, became a global pandemic from 1918 to 1920 and killed three to five percent of the world's population (around 500 million people in 2 years in every part of the world) regardless of age, race, gender or social standing.

Such an utterly senseless waste of life.

We must not forget.

tomm
Old 11-12-2018, 09:33 AM   #27
Steve Law
Forum Regular

Flu not overlooked.... was specifically mentioned at the parade as being excluded from the horrific battle casualties.

Many times the word Ďawesomeí is overused, but I think itís entirely appropriate when we hear numbers like these...
Old 11-12-2018, 09:44 AM   #28
Colkitto666
Forum Member

Anyone here having trouble downloading the Nations Tribute certificate from the Piping Centre?

Could use some help if you have already downloaded it.
Colkitto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:03 AM   #29
Skyelark
Forum Member

Default Re: When The Battle's Over - 0600

Played "The battle's O'er" at 0600 in Edgewood, Northern California. In my back yard, to the sheep, dogs, and the neighbour's horses. It was 25 degrees Farenheit, but the fingers held up through the tune.

Played again at the Living memorial Sculpture Garden in Weed, California at 11.11Am solo, and again at 2pm with members of the Jefferson Pipe band for the memorial service.

A good day of piping all round. Great to be a part of such an international event.

Lest We Forget - Slainte!
Skyelark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:09 PM   #30
gisahag
Forum Regular

Default Re: When The Battle's Over - 0600

Completely forgot I'd agreed about 3 years ago to participate in this. The Canon had to phone me to remind me.
Twenty or so hardy souls gathered outside Manchester Cathedral at 0600, not including a few 'tired and emotional' revelers still making their way home from their Saturday night shenanigans, and the nicotine addict in her pyjamas smoking in the doorway of a nearby hotel. Pipes sounded pretty good despite the lack of tune up time.
Felt really sorry for the two homeless guys sleeping in a corner 100 meters from the door of the Cathedral. Seems like not much has improved for some people despite everything that's happened in the last 100 years.
gisahag is offline   Reply With Quote