Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-01-2019, 10:05 PM   #31
magsevenband
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: "B" Flat Set up

Superb video..thanks for posting...prefer the Bflat chanter all day long..enjoyed the wonderful tune that is rarely played anymore save for the Regimental bands, The 51st Highland Division.
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-04-2019, 04:22 AM   #32
Piping Potential
Forum Member

Kenny, thanks for the video, it was a great idea! Looks very easy switching to A 440 compared to having to take reeds out to install the traditional drone extenders. I'm sold!
Piping Potential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:45 AM   #33
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

The extenders are great, but note that they increase the impedance of the drone, so they will not play nicely with all drone reeds (in general, they will do better with a stiffer tongue). I use the extender on my bass drone, but have a separate set of tenor reeds I swap in for concert pitch purposes.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:51 AM   #34
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piping Potential View Post
Kenny, thanks for the video, it was a great idea! Looks very easy switching to A 440 compared to having to take reeds out to install the traditional drone extenders. I'm sold!

Just to clarify, the reference pitch for the tuner was A 440Hz. The chanter's low A was 466 Hz: concert B Flat.

Playing at chanters set "A"=A 440 Hz would require another half-step lower on the drones- which can be done, but requires either pipes made for that or drone extenders top and bottom.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:30 PM   #35
Piping Potential
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo View Post
Just to clarify, the reference pitch for the tuner was A 440Hz. The chanter's low A was 466 Hz: concert B Flat.

When I say "A 440" I mean concert A. So then the concert B flat (Chanter's low A) should be at 466.
Piping Potential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:37 PM   #36
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo View Post

Playing at chanters set "A"=A 440 Hz would require another half-step lower on the drones...
Isn't there an orchestral work that uses pipes, that was written for the pipes being in the key of A?

I wonder if it was the composer not knowing that the pipes are a transposing instrument.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:56 PM   #37
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
Isn't there an orchestral work that uses pipes, that was written for the pipes being in the key of A?

I wonder if it was the composer not knowing that the pipes are a transposing instrument.
Orkney Wedding With Sunrise by Sir Peter Maxwell Davies is one such piece. There may be others.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:39 AM   #38
PNB
Forum Regular

I just received the set I ordered yesterday and went back and forth between standard chanter and Bb chanter and the extenders. I had to fuss a bit with the pressure on the drone reeds with the extenders in but worked fine when I switched back.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:07 AM   #39
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

I’ve just become aware that MG offers screw in extenders for their drone reeds.

Remove the pitch screw ...screw in the ca 1” long extender..with its own pitch screw...and that’s it. What a brilliant idea,

I’ve been playing MG White Mambas for some months now...they are superb imho and solid ..locked in...in cold ,hot ,changes , indoors,outdoors..fab!

these screw in Bb extenders seem like the bees knees I think to simplify swapping a given set to Bb and back.

I am playing a McC CEOL Bb chanter....with standard Shepherd reed....pitch at 440hz. Another brilliant move by team McCallum.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:28 PM   #40
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Iíve just become aware that MG offers screw in extenders for their drone reeds.

SNIP

I am playing a McC CEOL Bb chanter....with standard Shepherd reed....pitch at 440hz. Another brilliant move by team McCallum.

Do you mean the chanter pitches at B flat (466Hz) in reference to A 440Hz?