Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-16-2019, 11:34 AM   #1
Hurmmark
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Iíve met my threshold and itís 15 degrees

Two weeks ago I piped gravesite with a steady calm breeze no snow cover and it was 17 degrees. With pocket warmers on both shoulder blades and one at base of neck wearing doublet and pipers plaid, I was in the groove and played additional tones at the requests. Today 15 degrees and snow cover no wind my fingers ached after Celtic Send off (Danny boy). The only requested tone.... back at the car my finger tips hurt, and on both occasions I wore cut out finger tip leather gloves, this time I had pocket warmers in both gloves.....So my threshold is 17 comfortably - 15 degrees ouch. Poly pipes RG Hardies. (My dagoes).
Old 02-16-2019, 11:40 AM   #2
Andrew Lenz

Default Re: Iíve met my threshold and itís 15 degrees

Once in a while I am very happy to live on the California coast. This is one of those times!

Maybe someone needs to invent a battery-operated electric heater doublet...

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 02:03 PM   #3
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

I have played as cold as 2˚F: layer upon layer under the doublet and plaid fingerless wrist support/gloves, then fingerless knit gloves with HotHandsģ hand warmers in each, and then Wristies@ i-over them, Toe Warmers in my brogues, warm woolen socks, hose tops and spats, with two more hand warmers , one in each hose top. Body warmer (Stick-on) on teh back side of my plaid and one in the bag cover up by the drone stocks. Not fun, but got the job done. The Navy Honor Guard had an electronic (Cyber/robot) bugle, so did not have to struggle with the cold.
Ironically, the service was at Our Lady Of Sorrows, then at the cemetery a few miles away.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:36 AM   #4
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Worst for me was a First Night parade in Boston one year with a pipe band. I believe the actual temp was hovering around 0˚F, and wind chill was dropping into the negatives. Poly pipes weren't a thing then ... chanters certainly, but not drones, so far as I knew (1990s).

Chanter reed froze solid and shut toward the end ... so all i could do was blow drones. Next day, I was having trouble tuning my bass drone, and noticed that I could feel air hitting my hand .. there was a large crack going right through my mid-piece. Surprisingly, the city of Boston paid for a replacement mid-piece.

To this day, I don't know what my threshold is, but it's certainly higher than 0˚F.

Warmest regards (ha),
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:05 AM   #5
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Itís still grade school science that h2o freezes at 32F. Knowingly subjecting oneself or instrument to scathing lesser temps is foolhardy. Even the military does not play in these conditions if forewarned....just like the rest of us...they canít .

IMHO I think itís rubbish to boast how well ...or whine how poor...one played under such scathing conditions. Iíve learned to ĎJust say noí .
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:40 PM   #6
Hurmmark

Rest assured no boasting just stating the facts, it was cold and the RGHardie polys came through for the bereaved.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:39 PM   #7
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurmmark View Post
Rest assured no boasting just stating the facts, it was cold and the RGHardie polys came through for the bereaved.

None assumed. I played only the week or so before at the church....in the sun...and I could pop in and out of the vestibule ...it was 17F ....but worked ok with the warmth of the vestibule until the last tune outside...by then about 19F.

When the funeral home engaged me a week before hand I’d said yes. 3 days before when seeing the less than 20F forecast I called to reneg on going to the cemetery...explaining that the pipes just won’t work. No problem...they were happy I’d just come to the church. I used my poly pipes...
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:46 PM   #8
hooks
Forum Silver Medal

Glad we don't have those problems where I live on the mid north coast of New South Wales, Australia.

Mean maximum mid winter temp. in July is 18.8 Deg C ,Min is 7.6 deg C.

It can be a little humid at times though.Mean ave. rel .humidity is 63%.

Makes maintaining your instrument a little easier.

Dave.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:34 PM   #9
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Here in Southern California we've had the coldest weather we can remember in a few years- overnight lows in the 30s and highs around 50.

That's balmy for many of you!

It rarely gets below freezing here, our plants aren't freeze resistant and it kills some of them.

Yesterday we had a Highland Games that felt like Scotland, raining a good part of the day, windy and chilly. But the pipes seem to love that weather!

Here's "the Grapevine" which is the mountain pass connecting Southern California from the rest of the state. It's been closed, motorists stuck in their cars all night. We do get snow and cold, not in "the LA basin" as we call it, but in the surrounding mountains

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZzzkBMGm-0

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 02-18-2019 at 06:43 PM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:22 AM   #10
Hurmmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooks View Post
Glad we don't have those problems where I live on the mid north coast of New South Wales, Australia.

Mean maximum mid winter temp. in July is 18.8 Deg C ,Min is 7.6 deg C.

It can be a little humid at times though.Mean ave. rel .humidity is 63%.

Makes maintaining your instrument a little easier.

Dave.

Iím afraid here in the midwestern states USA,we have the best of all worlds..... cold, heat and humidity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk