Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-17-2019, 07:13 AM   #1
AJIvory
Forum Member

Default Practice pipes

Hello,
Iíve recently purchased a set of practice pipes but find the chanter quiet in comparison to the two drones.
How can I increase the volume of the chanter? The lower notes are very quiet, and when playing a birl I can hardly hear anything.
All three reeds are Fraser Warnocks.
What is the loudest practice chanter Reed?
Could I fit a bagpipe/small pipe chanter Reed?
Thanks,
Anthony
AJIvory is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-17-2019, 11:21 AM   #2
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Practice pipes

It is what it is. The drones are closer to your ears. Changing the reed will change the tuning, likely away from where the drones are set to tune. Regular bagpipe reed wonít work at all; you have a practice chanter (hence why low G is so quiet) with drones. A very basic smallpipe, if you will. Hence why the smallpipe repertoire is not entirely the same as the highland repertoire: their loudness profiles are inverse of each other as you go up the scale.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:19 PM   #3
EyeC
Forum Member

I put Abbott reeds in the drones and chanter of my Kitchen pipes, and am happy with the sound. Abbott is one of the loudest PC reeds. I believe the Kitchens are similar to the Practice Pipes.
EyeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:42 AM   #4
AJIvory
Forum Member

Patrick and EyeC,
Thanks for your replies and help.
Anthony
AJIvory is offline   Reply With Quote