Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Competing Pipers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competing Pipers Questions, issues, or discussions specifically related to Piping and Pipers competition.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-05-2016, 09:34 AM   #11
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Default Re: "Acceptable" competition tunes for BOTH Grade 2 & 3

bob864:

Right on, thank you for your input. I want to be clear, though; my aim is not to play harder music in a lower grade. My aim is to gain a better understanding of what constitutes "simple music" vs. otherwise. After all, one person's "simple tune" could just as easily be another person's nightmare. This is all rather subjective stuff, which is precisely why I'm interested in the perspectives of others.

That being said though, clearly there's at least some consensus among the community on tunes which are too easy (or too hard) for a particular level. This is precisely the sort of knowledge I'm looking to gain.

Thanks so much.
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 12-05-2016, 10:54 AM   #12
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pppiper View Post
My aim is to gain a better understanding of what constitutes "simple music" vs. otherwise.
What I keep hearing from judges is that they'd rather hear simple tunes well played than the alternative.

People routinely win by playing simple tunes slowly.

I've heard g3 soloists playing KGV's Army.

It would be really interesting to see lists of tunes that people actually submit in lower grades. I know in g4 you hear a lot of KGV, Atholl and Bredalbane, Prince Charles's Welcome, etc.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:59 AM   #13
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob864 View Post
What I keep hearing from judges is that they'd rather hear simple tunes well played than the alternative. People routinely win by playing simple tunes slowly. I've heard g3 soloists playing KGV's Army.
This is interesting, thank you Bob.

Quote:
It would be really interesting to see lists of tunes that people actually submit in lower grades. I know in g4 you hear a lot of KGV, Atholl and Bredalbane, Prince Charles's Welcome, etc.
I think some organizations have recommended tune lists? ... though maybe I'm thinking of band contests in that.

Anecdote: I was pipe major of a grade 4 band years ago for a little while. At the time, our pipe band association imposed a strict list of tunes from which we were required to draw. As pipe major, this had me breathing fire and pacing around the room muttering "kill the wabbit." I didn't appreciate a mandate which seemingly impeded creativity in our set(s).

There's something to be said, though, for attempting to guide up-and-coming players/bands in a manner which aims to prepare them for success. Later on, I believe that organization may have dialed that mandate back to it being a "recommended" list, rather than "required." If so, I appreciate that.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:51 PM   #14
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:

I think some organizations have recommended tune lists? ... though maybe I'm thinking of band contests in that.
RSPBA has the MAP tunes for grade 4 bands.

EUSPBA has a list of piobaireachd for beginners.

http://euspba.org/piping-music-and-information/

It's the Recommended tunes for solo competitors (some something similar).

They also have a video channel with some solid instruction from Jimmy McIntosh. Down at the end of this page:

http://euspba.org/education-pcp/
Old 12-05-2016, 03:25 PM   #15
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Which association are you in? For example, for grade 3, WUSPBA requires a single strathspey/reel to be submitted.

Why not chose a couple of straightforward tunes for this and play them well. If/when you get sent to grade 2, and have to submit multiple sets, add some more challenging tunes.

I inadvertently did this, playing Struan Robertson's Salute in grade 3 piob. When I moved to grade 2, I added The Wee Spree. At my first competition, the judge remarked that Struan Robertson's is too easy for grade 2. At least that left me knowing what tune I needed to practice on!

I still had a tough time and played like cr*p.

Charlie
Old 12-05-2016, 03:44 PM   #16
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Piper View Post
Which association are you in?
ACPBA (Atlantic Canada)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Piper View Post
If/when you get sent to grade 2, and have to submit multiple sets, add some more challenging tunes.
I plan to do exactly that, good call! In knowing that will be the course though, I'm attempting to work on both along the way (i.e. actively working on "grade 3" tunes, while also passively working "grade 2" tunes ... like a side project, essentially).

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it! Cheers.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:46 AM   #17
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Also, some judges might not want to hear you playing the first four parts of a tune composed with more parts -- you won't have a musical finish.
Oh, I missed that. Yes, definitely don't truncate tunes - play them all or play something else.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 06:44 AM   #18
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
Oh, I missed that. Yes, definitely don't truncate tunes - play them all or play something else.
Hmmm ... it seems there's more than one setting for John Morrison of Assynt House, some with 6 parts, and others with 4. And looks like I'd goofed on my original post: the Scots Guards 3 setting IS 4 parts, while it's 6 parts in others, such as John Wilson's Book 1. I had it backwards.

I would always bring a copy of the music with me, so a judge would know the setting I intend to play ... but would this still an issue, since there's a published 4-parted version in the Scots Guards?

http://www.patrickmclaurin.com/tuned...bmit&fuzzy=Yes

Also, on a similar subject ... is it ever ok to play two, two-parted strathspeys (or reels) in a set, instead of a 4-parted tune? I've been looking for a definitive answer to that, and I can't seem to find a clear answer.

Thank you!
Old 12-06-2016, 06:55 AM   #19
John McCain
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:

Also, on a similar subject ... is it ever ok to play two, two-parted strathspeys (or reels) in a set, instead of a 4-parted tune? I've been looking for a definitive answer to that, and I can't seem to find a clear answer.

Thank you!
Contact the association in which you'll compete and get the answer in writing.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:59 AM   #20
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McCain View Post
Contact the association in which you'll compete and get the answer in writing.
Thanks so much.