Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.


Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2018, 03:09 PM   #1
piper_hm
Forum Gold Medal
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 680
Default Chesney reed squeaking

Hi folks,

I've been playing the copper staple Chesney reed this year for solos and enjoy the sound. Recently, the reed starting squeaking on High A and, thinking it was the lips being too close together, used a mandrel that helped a bit, but the squeak is still prevalent. Tried another Chesney, it also started squeaking after a week. Not sure what's up...any advice?

Playing a sheepskin bag and RJM chanter.
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-28-2018, 03:43 PM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Estados Unidos
Posts: 6,367
Default Re: Chesney reed squeaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper_hm View Post
Hi folks,

I've been playing the copper staple Chesney reed this year for solos and enjoy the sound. Recently, the reed starting squeaking on High A and, thinking it was the lips being too close together, used a mandrel that helped a bit, but the squeak is still prevalent. Tried another Chesney, it also started squeaking after a week. Not sure what's up...any advice?

Playing a sheepskin bag and RJM chanter.
Sounds like you might Win by nipping a Half mm off the lips with a sharp new razor blade. Also sounds like the reed has weakened...giving the high A chirp. Does it gurgle easily on LG?
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:05 PM   #3
piper_hm
Forum Gold Medal
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 680
Default Re: Chesney reed squeaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Sounds like you might Win by nipping a Half mm off the lips with a sharp new razor blade. Also sounds like the reed has weakened...giving the high A chirp. Does it gurgle easily on LG?
No gurgle, still a bit of strength to it, easy-medium, nice and stable. I'll be playing and 'squeak!' on High A...but not every time, maybe every 3 or 4th High A...unpredictable...which makes it worse...
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:10 PM   #4
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Estados Unidos
Posts: 6,367
Default Re: Chesney reed squeaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper_hm View Post
No gurgle, still a bit of strength to it, easy-medium, nice and stable. I'll be playing and 'squeak!' on High A...but not every time, maybe every 3 or 4th High A...unpredictable...which makes it worse...
Ask RJM for his thoughts. Id say two same Cheneys in a row says try Some different make reeds. If there is sufficient strength in the reeds...Id hate to think the throat has gone a bit wonky. Try a stronger...and easier...reed. ?
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:34 PM   #5
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lubbock, TX
Posts: 5,625
Default Re: Chesney reed squeaking

Im not sure what a squeak on high a is. The only thing I can think of is a squeak when dropping down to low A from high A, in which case the high A thumb hole is being closed just a tad later than the front holes. Could you describe what movement prompts the squeak?
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:44 PM   #6
piper_hm
Forum Gold Medal
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 680
Default Re: Chesney reed squeaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
Im not sure what a squeak on high a is. The only thing I can think of is a squeak when dropping down to low A from high A, in which case the high A thumb hole is being closed just a tad later than the front holes. Could you describe what movement prompts the squeak?
Thumb strikes, mainly. A good example was the jig 'Glasgow City Police Pipers'. I played the second part with the thumb strikes and the reed would squeak on the 3rd or 4th High A.
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:25 PM   #7
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lubbock, TX
Posts: 5,625
Default Re: Chesney reed squeaking

Huh, I have never had that happen to me with thumb strikes alone, just the aforementioned squeal down to low A due to the high A hole being a tad lower on an unfamiliar chanter. Sorry I cant help beyond suggesting it may just be time for a new reed make. Do the reeds transfer this behavior to another make of chanter?
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Silver Sponsor

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:25 AM.