Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Competing Pipers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competing Pipers Questions, issues, or discussions specifically related to Piping and Pipers competition.

Platinum Sponsors
View Poll Results: What pitch do you tend to have when competing solo?
480 or higher 12 16.90%
476-479 40 56.34%
471-475 12 16.90%
470 or lower 7 9.86%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-22-2017, 11:39 AM   #11
zarb
Forum Gold Medal

Send a message via AIM to zarb
Default Re: Competition pitch, solo

I'd start by saying that anything close to modern pitch 470's and up is probably going to end up eliminating pitch as a consideration in judging. I do know it shouldn't be a consideration. I have seen a solo competitor on advice of an inexperienced tutor play at about 460 against other pipers all playing in the high 470's. In fact the competitor made a season of doing that, understandably with poor result. The lower pitched pipe sounded fine away from other piping and was in tune with itself, but in the competition area near other piping, was very noticeably flat and therefore seemed to be off.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:01 PM   #12
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarb View Post
I'd start by saying that anything close to modern pitch 470's and up is probably going to end up eliminating pitch as a consideration in judging. I do know it shouldn't be a consideration. I have seen a solo competitor on advice of an inexperienced tutor play at about 460 against other pipers all playing in the high 470's. In fact the competitor made a season of doing that, understandably with poor result. The lower pitched pipe sounded fine away from other piping and was in tune with itself, but in the competition area near other piping, was very noticeably flat and therefore seemed to be off.
Insightful, thank you. Hopefully 471-472 won't be an issue next year, as I really like my current set up. If it proves to be something that's commented on, I might think about grabbing another chanter. I've been eying the Bruce Gandy's McCallum chanter for a while, so I'm tempted.

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:57 PM   #13
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pppiper View Post
If it proves to be something that's commented on
I'd say if you have any concerns then immediately when you finish your performance and the judge says whatever s/he says then say thank you and then ask, "Do you think my chanter is too flat?"

The really good judges are only going to "comment on" the things that really stand out.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:15 PM   #14
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

To go to the heart of the discussion....why not just go with the flow and play reasonably at....the pitch du jour.

Check out videos of the big boys to hear what they are pitched at,...Willie, Stuart, Gordon, Colin,Angus, come to mind....certainly many others....; listen to Metro Cup 2017 video and always seek to emulate.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:46 PM   #15
Army.Bagpiper
Forum Regular

I play a 2013 David Naill ABW Solo Chanter which pitches between 478 - 481.
Martin at DNC told me to play with "a Donald McPhee or maybe a Warnock". I have played with a McPhee and with a G1 Platinum with success.
Army.Bagpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:32 AM   #16
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
To go to the heart of the discussion....why not just go with the flow and play reasonably at....the pitch du jour.

Check out videos of the big boys to hear what they are pitched at,...Willie, Stuart, Gordon, Colin,Angus, come to mind....certainly many others....; listen to Metro Cup 2017 video and always seek to emulate.
Yeah, thing is, I have tried. Seems that in order to get that chanter up anywhere near those pitches, it requires too much tape on the top hand. Whenever possible, I try to balance the chanter with no tape on low A or high A.

The point is, I like everything about the set up and the sound, but I know it's pitching a bit below par. So I merely wanted to reach out and determine whether it's worth worrying about.

So far, I've determined it's not.

Last edited by Pppiper; 09-25-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:53 AM   #17
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Yeah, thing is, I have tried. Seems that in order to get that chanter up anywhere near those pitches, it requires too much tape on the top hand. Whenever possible, I try to balance the chanter with no tape on low A or high A.
A lot depends on the temperature, the humidity, and the elevation.

Within the course of a week our band chanters were pitching at 474 and 486, without having made any changes.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:56 AM   #18
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob864 View Post
A lot depends on the temperature, the humidity, and the elevation.

Within the course of a week our band chanters were pitching at 474 and 486, without having made any changes.

WOW! Noted.

This brings me back to playing environment then. These pipes have yet to be played outdoors. My rehearsal space is crazy, blasting AC in the summer, and sweltering, dry heat in the winter.

So I'm not going to worry about it at all until next spring, when I actually start going.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:21 PM   #19
Paul M Burke
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Snip..........

Well there's you're problem, you want to sound like everyone else but you don't want to do what everyone does.

Break out the tape

Paul.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:28 PM   #20
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M Burke View Post
Well there's you're problem, you want to sound like everyone else but you don't want to do what everyone does.

Break out the tape

Paul.

Well, to be precise ... I don't necessarily want to sound like everyone else, or do what everyone else does.

I'm quite happy with how it is, and I've been looking for input as to whether I can just leave it be.

Time will tell, and for now, I'm going to leave it alone, and keep my focus on the tunes.

Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk